Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought this car a few weeks ago and have been working the kinks out here and there, I went to check the tranny fluid after driving it for like 25 mins. I parked my car while it was still running and checked the fluid it was at least twice or even close to about three times as high on the dipstick, it was WAAAYYY!!!! past the hot mark, I even checked it like seven times and still got the same reading. what kind of problems can this cause, I'm guessing that the owner before me just dumped alot of fluid in there hopping to cure tranny problems it was............is having. The issue it has is when comming to a stop during the down shifts it will make this buzzing like sound, and the last two shifts are kinda hard it will stop abruptly make that buzzing like sound and then surge forward. There is this creeking sound that I will here every once in a while, I have heard alot of minivans make this sound when comming to a stop.

· Administrator
26,453 Posts
The noise you are hearing is probably from the front pump.
Here is info from Chrysler on underfilling/overfilling trans fluid.
This is not necassarily for your trans but auto trans in general, check your fluid level when warm either in park/neutral, whichever is specified on your dipstick.

FLUID LEVEL AND CONDITION
NOTE: The transmission and differential sump have a common oil sump with a communicating opening between the two.

The torque converter fills in both the P Park and N Neutral positions. Place the selector lever in P Park to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground. This will assure complete oil level stabilization between differential and transmission. The fluid should be at normal operating temperature (approximately 82 C. or 180 F.). The fluid level is correct if it is in the HOT region (cross-hatched area) on the dipstick.

Low fluid level can cause a variety of conditions because it allows the pump to take in air along with the fluid. As in any hydraulic system, air bubbles make the fluid spongy, therefore, pressures will be low and build up slowly.

Improper filling can also raise the fluid level too high. When the transaxle has too much fluid, the gears churn up foam and cause the same conditions which occur with a low fluid level.

In either case, the air bubbles can cause overheating, fluid oxidation, and varnishing. This can interfere with normal valve, clutch, and servo operation. Foaming can also result in fluid escaping from the transaxle dipstick where it may be mistaken for a leak.

Along with fluid level, it is important to check the condition of the fluid. When the fluid smells burned, and is contaminated with metal or friction material particles, a complete transaxle overhaul is needed. Be sure to examine the fluid on the dipstick closely. If there is any doubt about its condition, drain out a sample for a double check.

· Banned
1,701 Posts
Ok I bought this car a few weeks ago and have been working the kinks out here and there, I went to check the tranny fluid after driving it for like 25 mins. I parked my car while it was still running and checked the fluid it was at least twice or even close to about three times as high on the dipstick, it was WAAAYYY!!!! past the hot mark, I even checked it like seven times and still got the same reading. what kind of problems can this cause, I'm guessing that the owner before me just dumped alot of fluid in there hopping to cure tranny problems it was............is having. The issue it has is when comming to a stop during the down shifts it will make this buzzing like sound, and the last two shifts are kinda hard it will stop abruptly make that buzzing like sound and then surge forward. There is this creeking sound that I will here every once in a while, I have heard alot of minivans make this sound when comming to a stop.
it would be really nice to know what kind of car and what transmission you have. if you have an od trans, buzzing noise is normal. having the fluid WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overfull will cause foaming and cause shifting problems.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok for those of you who do need to know it's a 93 3.0 liter Daytona IROC auto with O/D. I'm pretty sure it's a three speed, and the actual type of tranny I have is unknown. I'm not trying to piss anyone off but most of it is listed in the upper left corner.

· Banned
1,701 Posts
Ok for those of you who do need to know it's a 93 3.0 liter Daytona IROC auto with O/D. I'm pretty sure it's a three speed, and the actual type of tranny I have is unknown. I'm not trying to piss anyone off but most of it is listed in the upper left corner.
first, how are we suppose to know that your car listed is the car your talking about since most people on this board own more than one car or maybe you're listing is a fantasy car you wish you had, or maybe it's a car you use to own... some of us cannot read your mind. the more information and detail you give, the easier it is to solve a problem. Here's a true story that happened to me 25 years ago. A gal comes into my shop needing a muffler, I ask her what kind of car she has... her reply is "it's a red one". 2nd I'm really sure you're incorrect on what transmission you have. you own a 604 overdrive trans. 3rd, given the way overfull problem, the hard down shift, etc. it would be best to pull the trans, rebuild it and update it. the harsh 2-1 down shift is very common but easy to correct on rebuild. the buzzing noise is usually attributed to solenoids, however these transmissions will also make an internal buzzing noise caused by caviation, inwhich an over fill condition can cause.

· Registered
156 Posts
So AFT+3 TYPE 7176 will not work? that's what it says on the dipstick....... let me guess that's incorrect to.
You might wanna read that ATF3 and ATF4 article on Allpar! It seems ATF3 has been replaced by ATF4 but seal compatibilty may be a problem. That can result in possible seal failure! It also stated the ATF3 had "new like" but as mileage increases toward 30,000 shuddering may start due to fluid break down! How many miles btwn trans fluid chgs?

· Banned
1,701 Posts
You might wanna read that ATF3 and ATF4 article on Allpar! It seems ATF3 has been replaced by ATF4 but seal compatibilty may be a problem. That can result in possible seal failure! It also stated the ATF3 had "new like" but as mileage increases toward 30,000 shuddering may start due to fluid break down! How many miles btwn trans fluid chgs?
Huh, so all the years (over 20) that I've used nothing but Dexron in all my chrysler transmissions will cause a big problem? I guess I'll need to change that right away....NOT. I don't know why though, I've never had a problem and have several transmissions with high miles and zero problems. 1994 concord 202,000 miles original trans never rebuilt 2 fluid/filter services dexron in it since 80k. 1997 dodge grand caravan 3.8 AWD 275,000 miles original trans 4 services dexron since first service still working perfect, 1996 grand caravan 290,000 miles finally needed a rebuild, dexron used since first service. 1994 lebaron gtc 171,000 miles 604 trans dexron in that one too.

so i guess people that are having constant failures with their od trannies need to switch to dexron, i've been doing dexron in these trans since day one, no failures except one at 290,000 miles. I rebuild a lot of these transmissions and have always used dexron, no comebacks, no failures. WTF is up with that? maybe all the internet babble on allpar has some BS. like the doorknob with the ministock tips. that guy copied the book I wrote on this subject and gave no credit. That's called plagerizm

· Administrator
26,453 Posts
You are entitled to use whatever fluids you wish to, no argument there but when trying to help people out with a Mopar my opinion is too follow the manufactures recommendations.
And just for the record my Son did a trans service and flush on his 41TE (A604) and all they had a his place of employment was Dexron and had torque converter shutter. He had to drain the fluid, flush again, filled with ATF4 and performed a quick learn(as Chrysler suggests) and the problem went away.
Here is the "real" info on Chrysler ATF usage straight from Mopar, use the info anyway you like.
Read the paragragh below carefully and see about Dexron.

SELECTION OF LUBRICANT
It is important that the proper lubricant be used in the 41TE transaxle. MOPAR® ATF PLUS (Automatic Transmission Fluid - type 7176) should be used to aid in assuring optimum transmission performance. Fluids of the type labeled DEXRON II Automatic Transmission Fluid are not recommended . DEXRON II can be used only if the recommended fluid is not available. If more than a small amount of DEXRON II is used shudder or shift quality problems may result. It is important that the transmission fluid be maintained at the prescribed level using the recommended fluids.

FLUID LEVEL AND CONDITION
NOTE: The transmission and differential sump have a common oil sump with an opening between the two.

The torque converter fills in both the (P) Park and (N) Neutral positions. Place the selector lever in (P) Park to check the fluid level. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground. This will assure complete oil level stabilization between differential and transmission. The fluid should be at normal operating temperature (approximately 82 C. or 180 F.). The fluid level is correct if it is in the HOT region (cross-hatched area) on the oil level indicator.

Low fluid level can cause a variety of conditions because it allows the pump to take in air along with the fluid. As in any hydraulic system, air bubbles make the fluid spongy, therefore, pressures will be low and build up slowly.

Improper filling can also raise the fluid level too high. When the transaxle has too much fluid, the gears churn up foam and cause the same conditions which occur with a low fluid level.

In either case, the air bubbles can cause overheating, fluid oxidation, and varnishing. This can interfere with normal valve, clutch, and accumulator operation. Foaming can also result in fluid escaping from the transaxle vent where it may be mistaken for a leak.

Along with fluid level, it is important to check the condition of the fluid. When the fluid smells burned, and is contaminated with metal or friction material particles, a complete transaxle overhaul is needed. Be sure to examine the fluid on the dipstick closely. If there is any doubt about its condition, drain out a sample for a double check.

After the fluid has been checked, seat the dipstick fully to seal out water and dirt.

· Registered
156 Posts
Huh, so all the years (over 20) that I've used nothing but Dexron in all my chrysler transmissions will cause a big problem? I guess I'll need to change that right away....NOT. I don't know why though, I've never had a problem and have several transmissions with high miles and zero problems. 1994 concord 202,000 miles original trans never rebuilt 2 fluid/filter services dexron in it since 80k. 1997 dodge grand caravan 3.8 AWD 275,000 miles original trans 4 services dexron since first service still working perfect, 1996 grand caravan 290,000 miles finally needed a rebuild, dexron used since first service. 1994 lebaron gtc 171,000 miles 604 trans dexron in that one too.

so i guess people that are having constant failures with their od trannies need to switch to dexron, i've been doing dexron in these trans since day one, no failures except one at 290,000 miles. I rebuild a lot of these transmissions and have always used dexron, no comebacks, no failures. WTF is up with that? maybe all the internet babble on allpar has some BS. like the doorknob with the ministock tips. that guy copied the book I wrote on this subject and gave no credit. That's called plagerizm
I wouldn't change anything if you've accumulated that amount of milage out of a Mopar Fwd Auto transmission! You've been extremely blissed!!! Just thought I'd pass on some info! But maybe it's time for a rebuild?

· Banned
1,701 Posts
My point is all they hype. the only benifit of 7176 and better is it will help reduce torque converter shutter but that is it! GM had a bulletin for shutter on their transmissions and they recommended using mopar fluid. However if you don't have a shutter then so what? My 1997 dodge3500 van has 318,000 miles on it original trans never rebuilt. at 308,000 miles it finally had TQ shutter during mild grade climb with light throttle. So I tossed in a new converter, filter and dexron again. still working great and no shutter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.