Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are doing some work on my 1989 Daytona 2.2 t2 and the A555 is currently empty. Does anyone know what fluid i should put in there? I tried a search but perhaps I'm not looking for the right thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Finally going to get the car on the road after 4 years of sitting. about time!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
may be add some lucus. 1/2 to 1 qt to the 5/30. its a little stiff in cold weather in my 525. but it sure sounnds nice. i think im going to try auto tranny fuild with lucas and see how that works.

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
Auto transmission fluid is what they put in the factory till 87 (I think) then in the repair manuals it says (for my daytona) in 87 they changed to 5W-30 for increased protection from wear and reduced friction and longevity.

Choice is yours as they run with both but most prefer motor oil to transmission fluid

D

·
0 Posts
the TII and up cars got the 5W-30 to help the trany live longer due to the abuse

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i got a used A555 trans out of an 88 z for my current 87 z... had auto trans fluid in it. dumped as much as i could out. after i put it all back together i just topped it off with new atf. runs ok. both my old 89 DD with A555 had motor oil. how hard is it 2 completely drain the atf and put in the oil without it being contaminated?

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
Shouldnt be terribly difficult. Small ammounts of ATF in oil wont do any damage. You can run only ATF at idle in a normal car and it wont sieze, works real great to clean all the crud out, especially since atf is almost 100% detergents.

Just run the car for a while, drop the pan (carefully dont burn yourself) after most of the atf is out from the drain hole, then fill back up with oil, 5w-30 or whatever oil of choice.

·
Banned
251 Posts
drop what pan on the trans?

many manual transmissions call for ATF. ATF is mineral oil and will work fine and mixing won't be of any issue

. but make sure you only use ATF+4 ....lol afterall it is a chrysler trans and we all know how crucial it is to use +4

·
Banned
251 Posts
wouldn't it be important to be technically accurate when tossing out advice? I know I hate it when shop manuals are inaccurate, especially on torque specs.

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
Said in FSM that in 87 all transmissions would be filled with 5w-30 and all later years.

and I quote

"to reduce internal wear, all manual transaxles in 1987 and later vehicles use SAE 5W-30 motor oil as a lubricant"

And Im sure by looking under the car hed realize that it didnt have a pan. Sorry I just got done adjusting the low speed bands in my buddys duster.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i know it not an engind and all but idk think mixing any kind of atf with motor oil is a good thing.... thats y i stuck with the atf, but in my experience with the 555 oil is the way 2 go. especially with a nice med grade synthetic like 10w30 10w40... on a black 89 shelby DD i used 10w40 royal purple. omg the smoothness! but 2 get the answer im lookin 4, id have 2 take off side pan an jack up pass. side and let it fully drain? what about whats in the diff?

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
Ive done it with a few cars and no issues, ATF just doesnt have the "balls" (for lack of a better term) to lubricate the motor, as its not designed to do so.

Open an auto trans and youll see its almost spotless in there, ATF cleans about anything. As for the oil, the preference is up to him but I know I'm changin mine to motor oil when i get the chance.

If you can, score some motorcycle oil. It has better wear qualities and durability as the same oil used in the gearcase is used on the valvetrain and piston/crank.

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
Its oil, made for fourwheelers and morotcyles, and 4 stroke dirtbikes. 2 strokes use 80-90W gear oil, that isnt goin in my motor :p

It usually can be had at an auto parts store, but gallons can be bought at a honda, kaw, yama, or suzuki dealer (motorsports stores) or repair shops.

Its great sh*t lol

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
They have all sorts of weights just like nromal motor oil. Its just considered a "high shear" oil for its added durability in gearcases with the added heat of motor lubrication. It will be a litle thicker, but not like lucas oil.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts