Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to use one of my travelers with my "new" LeBaron convertible. I am using a socketed SBEC to run the engine so I can have sequential injection. I was in the process of changing the computer connection over from the 1989 SMEC to the SBEC when I found that the fuel flow signal (Z6) does not exist on the SBEC, instead it uses the twisted pair that talks to the body computer, dash and trip computer. Any body have an idea on a way around this? I do have the twisted pair I salvaged from a 1993 minivan.

·
Registered
524 Posts
One solution is to use a traveler from a SBEC car with yours. It might not have the same mounting or style as your current one, but it would allow you to have the features associated with a traveler.

Another solution, although hypothetical and just thought up in my mind, is to wire the SMEC up in conjunction with the SBEC with the bare minimum power, grounds, and any fuel related inputs, and use the Z6 as the only output to make your traveler work.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first might be an idea, I was only finding the mini trip computers though, the second probably would not be very feasible, the fuel monitor apparently uses injector pulse width and maybe boost to come up with the consumption data to send to the traveler. It's other input is the speed sensor signal.

If anyone actually knows what the SMEC uses to generate the fuel monitor signal maybe it could be derived.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, found a 1995 Lebaron convertible at Pick n Pull in VB today, it had a 2 button traveler so I got it and the BCM so I have the +/- 5 volts for the CCD bus and If it is feasible may use some of it's other features.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, did a little measuring and comparing today. I will have to fabricate mounts for the 95 Traveler into the 89 dash and possibly cut part of the back of the opening away. Here are some pictures of the two units for comparison. 95 is a little narrower and slightly taller, but a lot deeper than the 89 one. Since the outer edges are covered by the "wood" trim it should be doable. Left to right top row 1995, 1989 fronts, 1995, 1989 tops, 1995 back left to right second row, 1989 back, 1995, 1989 bottom, 1989 top, 1995 bottom backs, 1989 top, 1995 bottom fronts, third row 1989, 1995 ends for comparison.

Attachments

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I had to get a BCM to run the Traveler, I decided to see if any of it's other capabilities might be useful. First was the illuminated entry, this eliminates a relay and time delay module. Second is the warning system, key in ignition, lights on, fasten seat belts, this replaces the chime module. Third was to see if I could adapt the wiper system to it (intermittent wiper control is in there) After a bit of playing with a spare switch and motor I got that to work, no more dangling little box near the column. Dash lights may not be easily accomplished, from what the diagram shows, the panel and electronic dimming is by a rheostat to ground rather than from the parking light circuit.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got everything on the BCM controlled circuits except the panel lighting control worked out. It will eliminate the door jamb switches since the BCM uses the door ajar switches to control the courtesy lights and illuminated entry.

I built my mounts for the 1995 Traveler today, used a digital clock that (A) had a scratched display window, (B) had no buttons and (C) would not respond to pushing the switches. I cut the ears off the case and used my soldering gun and some plastic scraps to attache them to the Traveler. Since it is slightly shorter I had a small gap on the right end next to the display. I put a flush piece of plastic there and put a piece of electrical tape to give it a reasonably shiny appearance.

I had to make a hole for the plug as it doesn't line up with the existing openings (older Traveler has it's multi-pin plug near the right end). Here are some pictures of the mount tab work and the finished product in the 1989 dash,

Attachments

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found out that if I want the automatic door lock feature of the 1995 BCM, I have to change the lock system wiring to match the later setup which has relays for lock and unlock. Also found that the parking and headlights need relays since the pod switches on the 95 ground the relay coils to turn things on. Since I will be using an Infinity radio I need a speaker power relay too. On the 1989 dash, there is a nice big opening in the top center where the headlight motor control module goes. 1986 has 4 fixed glass headlights, so I have this nice, accessible through the top opening. Five spare Chrysler relay sockets (the kind that lock to the relay shell) and a piece of angle and I have a relay bank! Then I started running the wiring for the 1995 Traveler and BCM.

The wiring plug pictures are the difference in the 1989 Traveler connection and the 1995.

Attachments

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Worked on the door ajar wiring, found out that the BCM will cross feed through the older message center. As soon as I connected the message center the courtesy lights would come on and the chime in the BCM would start going ding, ding, ding. The 1995 LeBaron only has a single door ajar light and uses two diodes in the relay center to allow either door to illuminate the light. I took a couple of diodes I had around and put them into the circuit from the message center into the harness. Now either door will turn on the courtesy lights, but only the driver's door will turn on the ignition cylinder light.

Next issue was the headlight switch, the 1990 up LeBaron and Daytona do not use a pull knob style light switch, they use pod or later a combination switch. I had already added the relays for running and headlights, but, any time I connected the switch using the B1 (headlight) and B2 (running lights) as a ground and then plugged in the panel lamp dimmer circuit or electronic dimming, the BCM would start alarming. I finally, after a look at the later light switch functions, reversed the B2 and K connections. This puts the panel rheostat and electronic resistor always to ground. Adding a 980 ohm resistor in the panel light dimming circuit made it at least functional, backwards, but functional.

Then it was test other warnings, like low fuel, low washer fluid, trunk ajar. Low washer fluid worked right away, no issues, low fuel, another change in function, on the older system, either a thermal switch powers the low fuel light or an electronic module. Both are there to delay the light until the low fuel contact stays on for a bit. Now it is part of the BCM and it grounds the light after the same delay. The older message center has a ground trace that runs through the 3 panel lights and the low fuel light. In order for the BCM to control it, the light had to be powered, there was already a pin to the hot side, just no connection to it. I added the wire from the BCM and then cut the ground trace and soldered a jumper across from the 12V ignition power to the light on pin from the extra circuit. Worked perfectly, fuel below 1/8 tank, after a short delay Ding, Ding and low fuel light came on. Trunk ajar was interesting, switch was there, all connected, light would not work, even grounding the lead to the latch screws. No ground from the trunk lid to the body. 3rd brake light and license light worked fine, they have a gray ground wire into the rear harness. I tapped into that and grounded the trunk lid.

Attachments

Reactions: Glhs60

·
Registered
524 Posts
Very nice work. Keeping with the parts bin engineering theme you have going on, I would recommend a factory style keyless entry system. The fact that you already have the door unlock relay makes installing a factory keyless entry very easy to install.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice work. Keeping with the parts bin engineering theme you have going on, I would recommend a factory style keyless entry system. The fact that you already have the door unlock relay makes installing a factory keyless entry very easy to install.
If I find one I probably will. I actually have an extra Ford driver's door module which includes one touch down (Spare for my truck) that I could use, but probably won't for two reasons (A) no place to put the keypad and (B) since the K body convertibles front windows can be a problem, I really don't want to risk something jamming part way down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, did a little measuring and comparing today. I will have to fabricate mounts for the 95 Traveler into the 89 dash and possibly cut part of the back of the opening away. Here are some pictures of the two units for comparison. 95 is a little narrower and slightly taller, but a lot deeper than the 89 one. Since the outer edges are covered by the "wood" trim it should be doable. Left to right top row 1995, 1989 fronts, 1995, 1989 tops, 1995 back left to right second row, 1989 back, 1995, 1989 bottom, 1989 top, 1995 bottom backs, 1989 top, 1995 bottom fronts, third row 1989, 1995 ends for comparison.
Hello dear friend. I am looking for your help. I have a Traveler in which a resistor that is responsible for power supply in the circuit has burned out. So may I ask you to photograph me of the resistor that is in the circuit? I leave an image which it is. Unfortunately, as it burns out, the colors are not visible on it. Because of this small part, I don’t want to buy another computer.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electronic component

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replaced the resistor, which burned out again after 30s. I also suspect the black capacitor above it, but unfortunately I can't determine its values. Write the following on it:

TDK

If someone else had it built in, could you send me the data from capacitor or check the capacity for me?

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How about I just sell you the Traveler I can't use, that should eliminate the trial and error.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you had asked a week ago, a friend just left Tulsa Oklahoma on his way back to India. His first stop was Amsterdam and I don't know what his itinerary was from there. He could have at least gotten them to Europe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts