Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Trouble starting - no starter clicking, starts after many attempts.

541 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  AngularInversion 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Vehicle: 1985 Dodge 600 Convertible, 2.2 Turbo.

Issue: takes many key turns (10-15+) to start. I do not hear the starter clicking.

I've switches batteries. I checked the battery terminals for tightness and cleaned them.

Where should I go from here? Is there a common failure point in these?

#2 ·
Welcome To TD!!!
You need to start at the Starter Relay to determine what the cause of your issue is.
The starter relay should be located on the L/F (Driver Side) strut tower.

You will need a 12 volt test light or a digital voltmeter.
There are four wires at the Starter Relay.
1)Red (RD) Constant Battery Power from the Battery through a Fusible Link
Power (12 volts) should be present all of the time.
Use a Digital Voltmeter or 12 Volt Test Lamp connected to the - Battery Terminal.
If power is not present repair the open circuit.
2)Yellow (YL) Switched Ignition Power from the Ignition Switch
Power (12 volts) will only be present when the key is in the "Start" position.
Use a Digital Voltmeter or 12 Volt Test Lamp connected to the - Battery Terminal.
If power is not present check for power directly at the Ignition Switch, if power is not present, replace the Ignition Switch
3)Brown/Yellow (BN/YL) is the Ground.
Use a Digital Ohmmeter to check for Continuity to Ground or a 12 Volt Test Lamp connected to the + Battery Terminal.
Ground is through the Neutral Safety Switch on an Auto Trans car and a Ground wire bolted to the transaxle on a Manual Trans car.
4)Brown (BN) The BN wire is the Output to the Starter Solenoid.
If you had power at steps 1 and 2 and had continuity to ground in step 3 but have no power at the BN wire with the key in the "Start" position, replace the Starter Relay.
5)If all 4 steps check OK then your issue is with the wiring connection at the starter from the
+ battery cable or the BN wire from starter relay or the starter itself.

If there is anything you do not understand or have questions Please feel free to ask.

This is what the Starter Relay looks like.

#3 ·
I very much appreciate the response. The local auto parts store had that relay for 12 bucks (and can return it). So, tried that, and no change. It is seeming to me like it may be the ignition, as it seems like it take fewer turns if I press it a certain way, but of course that could also be my imagination. I do need to check wires to the starter and connections there. Speaking of the starter, it must really be tucked away somewhere. I did an oil change today and didn't see it in a quick glance around, although I didn't want to get completely underneath as it was nice and hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.