Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im removing the spare tire well from my car. its all rotted out anyway. i was askinf people if there was anything else i had to do besides weld in a flat piece, the majority of the people said weld an "X" support under it so it can take some stress.... here's my idea to cut down on the weight of an X brace under it...

:D what about cutting a section out of a truck bed? its ribbed so it has some strength. would that be enough to take some unibody stress or should i still just weld an X under it?

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
a flat piece will be plenty strong , BUT it may resonate or "drum", so an X brace would help with that

I replaced the spare tire well in my omni with flat ,,, rivited + RTV ; .040 thick mild steel is pretty strong... don't think I would want to use anything thinner ...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Like Det said, just get a little heavier guage and use flat. Its fine. You can brace it w/ an X or use the riged crap, but both are more work than necessary. I've done this twice and did it flat both times.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just realized the bumper bolts inside the subframe rails so that holds it all square anyways. thanks guys im gonna start hackin that thing out this week :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts