Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am well aware of, the '87 Charger GLHS' were not badged right off the line, and as a result some of them came with the smaller Shelby windshield decal and Shelby GLHS Mobil 1 Plaque. I am trying to determine if these are what my Charger are suppose to have, or if the set that I already bought with the larger windshield decal is correct. As well, could someone direct me to the vin decoder that you use for the Shelby's please? My vin is 1B3BZ64E5HD582786

·
Registered
103 Posts
The VIN isn't going to be able to tell you what windshield decal it had. If memory serves the early ones that were built came with the longer decal and when those were gone they switched to the shorter one. I assume you can't see where the decal was on the windshield? Mine I can see. I have a master list of the VINs but that might give an idea of whether it was built early or late. I don't think there is any info out there that says they built this many with the longer decal.

Scheduled ship date 12/16/86 to Peninsula Dodge, Newport News, VA

Looks like it was one of the cars built in the back half of production according to ship date.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
As far as I know, Charger GLHS #0001 through 0100 had the shorter Shelby windshield decal.
The '87 windshield decal wasn't ready yet.
They had to use the 86 version and cut off the CS logo on both sides.
More cars may have the shorter version, but what I was told many years ago was that at least the first 100 had this.

Interestingly. the reverse happened with the Mobil 1 plaques.
They ran out of the rectangular Charger GLHS plaque later in the run.
#0325 has the Charger GLHS plaque, and #0956 has the GLHS plaque.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The cars were also not modified in order of VIN and I read someplace here that they were not built in numerical order. IE #0502 may have been completed before #0075 so it's hard to tell which car was finished when.

Law

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
The cars were also not modified in order of VIN and I read someplace here that they were not built in numerical order. IE #0502 may have been completed before #0075 so it's hard to tell which car was finished when.

Law
This is true.

Also: Only 500 cars at a time could fit at Shelby in Wittier CA.
The cars with Shelby dash plaque 1-100 should have gotten the 1986 GLHS windshield decal with the snipped off CS on each side.

What I know:
#0325 was delivered to the dealership in Oct. 1986 (in the first group of 500).
#0956 was delivered in January of 1987. (in the 2nd. group of 500).

·
Registered
171 Posts
GLHS #0075 has the later windshield decal.
Its invoice number is 02-951 and projected ship date 07 Jan 87 (so a later build)
I believe that the first 100 built probably had the modified 86 decal, but not #'s 1-100, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
823 Posts
In looking at the VIN lists, the build order shows cars #2 (invoice #2-100) and #7 (invoice #2-101) being the first built and shipped to Fitzgerald Dodge in NH. After that, the first car shipped to public looks to start with car #101 (invoice #2-102). So cars #2, #7 and #101 through about #200 or so got the different windshield decal.

I restored #113 (invoice #2-115) years ago and it had the original window with the smaller decal on it. I was concerned that the decal had been switched at some point, but after doing a lot of research, I determined that the smaller decal was indeed correct for that car.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
As far as I know, the first 100 cars that had been completed and given decals and stripes at Wittier got the shorter Shelby windshield decal.
The '87 windshield decal wasn't ready yet.
They had to use the 86 version and cut off the CS logo on both sides.
More cars may have the shorter version, but what I was told many years ago was that at least the first 100 had this.

Interestingly. the reverse happened with the Mobil 1 plaques.
They ran out of the rectangular Charger GLHS plaque later in the run.
#0325 has the Charger GLHS plaque, and #0956 has the GLHS plaque.
Also: the dash plaques were applied in no particular order.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any idea how many had the "GLHS" Mobil 1 plaque? Mine was missing when I purchased it. I now have a "Charger GLHS" one, but want to know which is the correct one for the car.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
GLHS 0956 was delivered in January of 1987 and part of the second group of 500 cars.
That one came with the GLHS Mobil 1 plaque.
So I'll guess that cars built early in 1987 had this version of the plaque.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting. I knew about the windshield decal, but this is the first I heard that there were two different Mobil 1 decals. Mine was gone when I bought it. I have #0083, and I know it had the older windshield decal. I'm not far enough along in the project to worry too much about it yet, but it's good to know.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Interesting. I knew about the windshield decal, but this is the first I heard that there were two different Mobil 1 decals. Mine was gone when I bought it. I have #0083, and I know it had the older windshield decal. I'm not far enough along in the project to worry too much about it yet, but it's good to know.
Yes.
That's why I only had the plaques for the GLHS for sale.
They ran out of the Charger GLHS plaque early in production.
The GLHS plaque were used to fill in for it and there were a few left over afterward.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
There is someone here that makes reproductions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts