Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im getting a new turbo motor from the junkyard and it doesnt have the computer. Its a 2.2L T1 out of 86 Laser. Its got no computer, so I need to get a new one. Just wanna know what you guys think I should do, get a different one or stick with the stocker. Just wanna know.

-Hagenator:drinking:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
what are you putting it into and does it have a computer? If it is a 2.2 the stock computer should run it ok unless you are running a differant style head. I only have TIII cars so I am not up on 8 valve heads and there differant fuel needs.

If you are going to put it into the 88 in your sig you may have other issues to deal with first. Again I'm not up on all the changes on the engines from year to year but am pretty sure the 87 year was the first year for the big axle trans. What trans are you running? There was also a switch from 6 bolt crank to 8 bolt crank. On auto trans they also I believe there was a 3 bolt and 4 bolt converter and a switch somewhere in there for a differant sytle drive of the trans pump on the converter. If I remember correct there was like a bastard year where the you could be stuck with stuff not matching up. Hopefully some one else with accurate info will chime in or you can find some info doing a search.
Tim

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am putting the engine into my 88 Reliant. It has the 2.5L N/A and its got the a413 tranny. Im going to be changing the tranny to a trans from a turbo 2.2 or 2.5 which ever i can find. Yeah hopefully someone with more knowledge on this subject (not sayin you know nothing lol) could help me out so can figure out what i have to do.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
or you can search for yourself. I have seen this info here but since it doesn't apply to any of my vehicles I don't burn it to my head harddrive.
Tim

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
here you go I got some time and did the search. from this thread the junk yard engine should be a 8 bolt crank The 88 engine would be an 8 bolt crank.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/f29/138998-1985-6-bolt-flexplate-auto-trans.html
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f22/133200-custom-flexplate-universal-flexplate.html
from reading these if the engine is an 86 it should be an 8 bolt and 85 was was the last year of the 6 bolt crank. You should be good. Just make sure it really is an 8 bolt crank on the new motor.
Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts