Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know a tight radius 90* elbow 4" at turbo and 3" after the bend, or do you know of a smaller diameter brake booster, I've tried both the automatic & manual trans boosters and both push on the red turbo inlet elbow.

turbo inlet elbow.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Have you looked into Earls's?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I ditch the booster on my cars. I dont like the time delay they inherently all have.

Braking performance actually improves!

Keep posting pics please!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I ditch the booster on my cars. I dont like the time delay they inherently all have.

Braking performance actually improves!

Keep posting pics please!!

Thanks
Randy
Are you saying you removed the power brake booster and your braking improved having manual brakes?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Panic braking yes as boosters all have some application time delay.

Stopping distance slightly improves with manual vs power.

Pedal effort does increase slightly and with better feel.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel dumb for not realizing that I could cut some off the red elbow. I cut (1 1/4" ) off the turbo inlet and put the smaller diameter automatic booster back and it has clearance now. Sometimes the simple things....

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,227 Posts
Excellent Lancer!I was happy about this thread because it made me consider dumping the weight of the booster out of my GLHS. Randy, do you need a particular MC or do you need to make a special pushrod to run manual brakes?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Excellent Lancer!

I was happy about this thread because it made me consider dumping the weight of the booster out of my GLHS. Randy, do you need a particular MC or do you need to make a special pushrod to run manual brakes?
I was wondering the same thing about the pushrod.

Reactions: INSATANSSEAT

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,227 Posts
I know that L bodies did have a manual MC at some point but I don't know if it would push the Shelby Charger brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I know that L bodies did have a manual MC at some point but I don't know if it would push the Shelby Charger brakes.
And the elliptical shape and bolt pattern for the MC is completely different from the square pattern at the firewall.
I found this manual brake master cylinder to firewall adaptor in the 1982 Chrysler parts book:

1982 manual brake parts listing _1.jpg
1982 manual brake parts listing _2.jpg

Reactions: INSATANSSEAT

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The way I understand the brake booster's power benefit is that (F=PA), meaning Force = Pressure x Area. The pressure comes from a combination of vacuum on the front & atmospheric pressure on the back side of the diaphragm. Say you have 14.7psi at sea level and 16" of vacuum then the total is 30.6psi. A 9" diaphragm using Pi R^2 = 63.6 square inches. So the formula will look like F= 63.6 x 30.6. F= 1,946 psi thanks to the brake booster. I'm Just saying I like my brake booster.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just added a bunch of pictures of my build to my profile album. How do I delete an album or combine the two into one?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I always used a manual master from an L body with its supplied pushrod.

The firewall mounting bracket is wonderfully and mysteriously designed.

I'll write on the bracket a little later when I have some spare time.

I sent my last bracket to Shadow to copy so he could make one.

I've been meaning to contact him to see if he made spares.

Or even drawings as I have at least one more to convert.

He probably sent mine back but I can't find it anywhere.

I had a stroke shortly after and my memory is foggy.

Brake response time is noticeably reduced.

The extra space is a nice bonus!!

Pedal effort is adjustable.

Thanks
Randy

QUOTE="INSATANSSEAT, post: 4528095, member: 99889"]
Excellent Lancer!

I was happy about this thread because it made me consider dumping the weight of the booster out of my GLHS. Randy, do you need a particular MC or do you need to make a special pushrod to run manual brakes?
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I always used a manual master from an L body with its supplied pushrod.

The firewall mounting bracket is wonderfully and mysteriously designed.

I'll write on the bracket a little later when I have some spare time.

I sent my last bracket to Shadow to copy so he could make one.

I've been meaning to contact him to see if he made spares.

Or even drawings as I have at least one more to convert.

He probably sent mine back but I can't find it anywhere.

I had a stroke shortly after and my memory is foggy.

Brake response time is noticeably reduced.

The extra space is a nice bonus!!

Pedal effort is adjustable.

Thanks
Randy

QUOTE="INSATANSSEAT, post: 4528095, member: 99889"]
Excellent Lancer!

[/QUOTE]

We can all make all this lag time go away without modifying things by simply keeping our collective feet on the brake pedal while hitting the gas just a bit harder...🤔🙄😆😆

1 - 20 of 29 Posts