Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I Just Bought Chrysler Lebaron Gts 2,2 Turbo (same As Dodge Lancer). How Can I Know If It Is Turbo 1 Or 2? In T2 It Should Be Intercooler. How Does It Look Like? This Car Is 1988. There Is Written In Technical Paper: Motor Specification 2,2 T2. Sorry, It Seems To Be Simple Question, But I Am New Here... :) Thanks For Advice.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,454 Posts
First, welcome to Turbododge. In 1988, all turbos became blow through throttle body. A T1 will have the hose running from the turbo to the throttle body with a smaller line coming off to the bottom of the air box. This goes to a quick dump valve inside the air box. A T2 will have the air from the turbo going to the intercooler and from there back to the throttle body through the air box. It will also have an air charge temperature sensor on the intake. Check the VIN position 8 for engine code, it can be decoded from that. I don't have the link handy, but you could search on this site for VIN decoder, I have seen it recently

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Well, if it says 2.2 TII thats what it is...another way to immediately see, is to look at your throttle body (the thing attached to your gas pedal...makes the car go zoom zoom...)if it has a ribbed black rubber hose that reaches out towards the nose of the carr, and is screw clamped onto a radiator looking device, then this is your Intercooler...last way is to doa VIN check.If that hose coming off the Throttle body does a 90 degree or more droop towards the bottom of the engine bay, and seem to disappear into the engine itself (goes to the turbo) then you have the weaker T1 motor...

·
Registered
827 Posts
PA3K said:
Hello, I Just Bought Chrysler Lebaron Gts 2,2 Turbo (same As Dodge Lancer). How Can I Know If It Is Turbo 1 Or 2? In T2 It Should Be Intercooler. How Does It Look Like? This Car Is 1988. There Is Written In Technical Paper: Motor Specification 2,2 T2. Sorry, It Seems To Be Simple Question, But I Am New Here... :) Thanks For Advice.

Hey, A fellow slovak i see :D welcome to the board.

try here http://www.allpar.com/mopar/vin-decoder.html

punch your VIN in and all will be revealed :)

bernard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O.K. THANK YOU EVERYBODY. I CHECKED THAT VIN CODE ON THAT LINK YOU GAVE ME, AND THERE WAS WRITTEN:
Make : Chrysler
Type : Passenger Car
Model Year : 1988
Safety System : manual seat belt
Body : H: Lancer
Series : Special/Sport
Style : 4-Door Hatchback
Engine : Chrysler: 2.2L I-4 SOHC MFI Turbo I
Check Digit : 7
Plant : Sterling Heights, MI

AND I WOULD LIKE ALSO ASK YOU IF THERE IS SOME SIMPLE WAY HOW TO INCREASE ENGINE POWER UP FROM NOW 150HP.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
SIMPLE POWER!!! .. Thats a TD BROTHAH!!

Hi! Welcome man. Your gonna have fun! So hang on and enjoy the ride. For your car,AS IS, to increase power open the exhaust up run full 2.5" from the front to the back. Get a hi flow CAT converter such as a Catco or get a big one off of a suburban or some other huge vehicle at a junk yard... or just gut the existing one.....

Next.. the muffler,straight through design is the best but not all like the noise. Go as free flow as you can stand.

Drop a K&N or simmilar hi-flow air filter or fit a large cone filter on.

This stuff should make you spool faster(get boost faster) and give you better top end.

This is the simple stuff.

Next .. read these sites like your life depended on it.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/

http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus/index-old.html (links toward the bottom)

Over here you'll see a whole mess of awesome TD's to get your appetite worked up.
http://www.relentlessracing.com/

HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once again, thank you everybody. I feel very good, because i found very nice people here. I am not such a professional as you are, but i love my gts. I am designer, thats because i bought this car . It is very difficult to find any repair parts for LeBaron here in Slovakia. I would like to ask you, if that parts are cheep in U.S.A. or Canada and if there is some way to get them here to Slovakia or if there is some local distributors of that parts here in Europe. This car is 17 years old so i think they discontinued production of that parts.

Also my question for this forum: i have some crazy idea (just idea!) to put fan in the front of main hose and make another circuit from my air-condition and instal it behind the fan to cool the air coming to turbo. Is that totally bad idea or not?

Also i have some problem with a/c. Refrigerant must leak somewhere, but it is difficult to find where, because after refill it is o.k. for three weeks. Is here some forum for repairing air condition?
And really last question :) Have you someone book or e-book (*.pdf) about parts and repair of chrysler lebaron GTS 2,2T ? I found some chiltons manual on the internet but i dont have credit card, so if there will be some good-natured fellow... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome to TD! I will answer one of you questions, regarding AC and finding a leak. In the US they sell a special kit for leak detection . It contains UV die that you inject into the AC system. Then wearing special glasses (usually sold with the kit) you visually inspect all of the lines and fittings. You will see the UV die bright as day when you find the leak. Replace what ever conponent is bad, then recharge the system. Of course you will want to check local regulation regarding using these chemicals and refrigerants and blah blah blah.

Also, what methods of payment do you have available?

One more thing check out Mini Mopar . Lots of good info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts