Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow Moparians. I'm new to the site. I recently purchased a 1988 Dodge Omni from Columbus, GA. It has a 3.0L 12V V6 swap with a matching 5 speed from a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim, including the computer.

The car scoots nicely, however, I always have a need to go faster. I've been reading that these V6's can take a fair amount of boost. Aside from the basic mechanical needs (turbo manifolds, injector swap, turbo, etc.) what kind of computer could I use that can handle the boost?

Yes, I have done my research but I need more input as this is not a SRT4 swapped Omni. Any help would be appreciated.:fingersx:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Is this the silver one that is on Youtube?

In this case it would be easier to supercharge the V6 instead of turbos, you've already
got 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. Take it from me, the only turbododge cars
I've owned are Omni's, it's not easy to add more crap in that engine compartment.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You will need a wideband.
You will want an intercooler.

The stock computer will work if you use a(n) RRR/FMU but it's a compromise and you might blow it up(I did but I'm a moron). Megasquirt or greddy emanage are probably the cheapest options that give you good control of the tuning.

You might get more responses if you post in the Mitsubishi V6 section.

Also welcome to the site. You will find vast knowledge here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this the silver one that is on Youtube?

In this case it would be easier to supercharge the V6 instead of turbos, you've already
got 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. Take it from me, the only turbododge cars
I've owned are Omni's, it's not easy to add more crap in that engine compartment.
Yes it is. You would think there wouldn't be anymore room but, believe it or not, there's quite a bit of room between the engine and firewall to throw a small turbo on it. Supercharging would require the hood to be cut up and I'm not about to do that.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Only guy I know that stuffed a 3.0L in an omni had to cut the hood up to get it down and then had to pin it down. Removed the power steering pump and just looped the PS hose back on the other nipple on the rack. Seems that the core support had to be moved forward too. Don't remember the color but I kinda recall he was from somewhere around Atlanta:rolleyes::thumb:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Maybe you could use a mitsubishi intake with the plenum over the front VC. Might give you more room to work with. Pics of the engine bay? A turbo 3.0l Omni would haul some serious ass I hope this gets done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not an expert on dodge engines but it seems like you could fab a custom kit pretty easy. Making it fit in the engine bay would be a challenge though and my only experience with this size car is a mk1 rabbit with the VW VR6 Turbo which is a tight fit but probably a better fit than the V6 you have because of its single cylinder head design. Any pics of the engine bay and the space between the firewall?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only guy I know that stuffed a 3.0L in an omni had to cut the hood up to get it down and then had to pin it down. Removed the power steering pump and just looped the PS hose back on the other nipple on the rack. Seems that the core support had to be moved forward too. Don't remember the color but I kinda recall he was from somewhere around Atlanta:rolleyes::thumb:
Did you know the guy personally?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pics of the engine bay? A turbo 3.0l Omni would haul some serious ass I hope this gets done.
Any pics of the engine bay and the space between the firewall?
I'll get some pictures up this evening.

Can you post links to the videos?
Here's my video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_2Sigap8k

Here's the other video of one of the previous owners doing the swap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlIgUbXH7ak

·
Registered
782 Posts
Looks like enough room to me.

I don't know how much research you've done on turboing a 12v 3.0l in a dodge. Some people have put the turbo over the rear VC and some have flipped the plenum and put it on the crossover above the bellhousing. If you have enough hood clearance for the spacers required for a plenum flip you could go either way.

·
CoupleOvans
1,684 Posts
Welcome. Love to keep tabs on this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts