Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a turbo conversion on an 89 Omni for ROAD RACING and street driving. There is a lot of info out there on the web but most of it is geared toward drag racing and I am confused on what would be best for road racing and street driving. I have finally decided what engine I am using and what head. So the final decisions to be made center on the turbo and the pistons. I am cutting it close with a remaining budget of around $2500 for the whole car, including all the machining and porting and the transmission I don't have yet. So only about $1000 remain for the pistons and turbo. I can get more but it will drag this out much longer. I think 260ish will be plenty for road racing...any disagreement? Fast boost + light car = teh win

I will be using a 94 Commonblock 2.5 Engine with T2 rods.
A555 transmission and an OPEN DIFFERENTIAL so...

Forged or stock T2 2.5 pistons? Why?

Stock T2 turbo(needs rebuild), S60, other? Why?

Please respond people! I really need guidance here

·
Registered
928 Posts
How much boost are you planning to run? Do you have an intercooler? Forged pistons are spendy, but will probably be a necessity in the harsh environment of road racing. Road racing causes much more heat than drag racing, so factory cast pistons will give up way sooner than forged. If you want fast boost, why not go with a VNT?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the road racing incite. I will be running a dual stage TU computer at 8 and 18 I think. That can be changed, any comments on that anyone? I was thinking of having it set at that and maybe playing with a bit more if it proves to be too weak. It will have some sort of large FMIC, I have a conquest in the works but I am not sure yet. Can you just slap a VNT on any 8-valve combo or does that require other stuff? What kinda HP can be made on a VNT?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'm don't know what all needs to be changed in the VNT swap. I THINK the only things are different are the coolant/oil lines and a calibration. However, a VNT won't be able to put out 18 psi. I think they are maxed out about 15 psi. Road racing is hard on stuff, and at 18+ psi, you'll be better off with forged pistons. Forged pistons are higher than cast, but are not too expensive. For $400 you get the pistons, pins, and rings.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
TurboOmni08 said:
??? Its a 94 2.5, TBI motor. Esplain please. I can get out of buyin them I think.
Sorry, didn't see the N/A part, :bang head

But any turbo CB will have the rods you need! This way, you can probably score them cheaper as your not asking for T2 rods and this way, don't sound so expensive, lol!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ehh, "got" a set for $55. The guy had some complications and I am just waitin around.
So, I am hearing that the forged pistons are teh win and that is a must for road racing. I don't think I am gonna hassel with the VNT set up at this point. With such a slim budget do you guys think I outta rebuild (or get TU to rebuild :) ) the T2 T-3 turbo with the 2.5 SV? I think that should get 270 and that should be enough for what I wanna do. And if not that should have a good resale value shouldn't it? Whatever turbo I get will lock me in for the warranty period. So for the money...

S60
"Stock" t3

Remember, 2.5L, 5-speed, roadracing, budget is rather small.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts