Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hear is the skiny. I have a .48/.60 garret turbo .60 is off of a Ford Merkur. I also have a stock t1 garret .42/.48. the .48/.60 garret needs a rebuild while the T1 seems tight and spins freely. Can I just swap the compressor housing and run the T1 with the .60 compressor housing? I noticed that the T1 compressor housing won't fit over the other garret turbo wheel but the larger one has no problems with the smaller T1. I'm fishing for advice and i'd like to hear some input.

·
Super Moderator
11,700 Posts
ya , think of it like a water pump impeller inside a housing that's to big , it will turn but there is to much space around the impeller so it won't push the water , just spin and cavitate

·
Premium Member
9,030 Posts
rebuilding the merkur center section prolly the best way, also

you could swap the 60 wheel with its center shaft+turbine wheel into the ChryCo center section;
mark the wheel & nut location relative to the shaft b4 disassembly ..
of course this is 1/2 the work of a rebuild anyways ;)

(never done this myself btw)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
you could have the compressor housing from the t1 machined to fit the merkur wheel wich would make it a super 60 minus the .63 turbine

·
Premium Member
9,030 Posts
you could have the compressor housing from the t1 machined to fit the merkur wheel wich would make it a super 60 minus the .63 turbine
not really,
the turbonetics "S60" is actually a ~64 trim, with a 48mm inducer.

the ford is a ~59 trim, with a 46mm inducer.

and our TD TI/II are ~49 trim, with a 42mm inducer.

all 3 have a 60mm exducer.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
a compressor upgrade is only about $200, balanced and bolt it on. Or you can get an econo compressor T04E 46 for $175 and a 50 trim for $150. Buy a rebuild kit and bolt them on. Using the Ford housing is a head ache with the inlet and outlet fun.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
No, they measure to 48.26mm.

well darn im just an idiot ! but the two i had did not measure 48 mm.

regardless the ford wheels in the dodge housing will be a nice upgrade but if you dont have the .63 turbine then it wont really matter what wheel is in there it wont make over 275 hp without having insane backpressure in the manifold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts