Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done much porting to the stock turbine elbow? Hard to call it a swingvalve since it has no wastegate actuator. I've been around TD since they were new, but not too much experience with the VNT's, so excuse my ignorance if this is a FAQ. I was sort of shocked (disappointed might be a better word) at the short turn in the elbow. Seems like a lot of improvement could be made there (especially if one was to weld in some more material in the short turn area.
Or would one be better off just fabricating a stainless elbow/downpipe? Anyone do this? if so, what where the results? I'm concerned about making it so much more unrestricted that it may lead to overboost/ driveability issues. This will be on a mild build-up, with ported cylinder head, intake and exhaust manifold. Not trying to re-invent the wheel here, but that elbow could be made a whole bunch better than it is now.
Todd Nelson

·
Registered
898 Posts
go to turbos unleashed . com make that all one word, then go turbo accessories, the swingvalves.

it has been done, 3in swing valve,

also other modifications for flow would be opening the wastegate hole in the exhaust housing.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
go to turbos unleashed . com make that all one word, then go turbo accessories, the swingvalves.

it has been done, 3in swing valve,

also other modifications for flow would be opening the wastegate hole in the exhaust housing.
Zach,
Ah...The VNT's don't have a wastegate. The elbow is unique to the VNT motors. Chris's 3" swingvalve is not an option on a VNT, unless he has something specific for the VNT turbo.

·
Registered
898 Posts
ahh, did not know the vnt's were different.

shows how much i know about them. lol

ill try to stay out of this forum section..hahaha

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't seem to be much activity on this VNT section. I think I can hear crickets......It's going to get welded and then have some aggressive work done to the short turn radius. I certainly can't make it worse than it is now.:p When it's done it will look much more like the TIII swingvalve.
Todd

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
todd - I think there is a *major* restriction in the inlet side of that VNT too

its a Mitsu isnt it ? wouldnt really make much sense to go 3" exhaust when the turbine inlet is about 1.5" ?? or not ?

I spent a good 45 minutes porting up the inlet side of my DSM turbo; then another 30 min cleaning up the "O2 housing" - opened it from 2.25 -> 2.5"

I say go ahead and clean up the stock housing as much as possible ; pay attention to the wastegate hole inlet and outlet and open those as much as possible too ; that will help eliminate any boost creeep issues later

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We'll be waiting on those pics then Todd:cool:

Alan
INTRUDER ALERT! :eek:Hey Alan, are you spying on the 8 valver's turf? Were over here just trying to keep up with the Jones's? Sorry man, I've been waiting for the right time to use that one.:lmao: Sometimes I just kill myself:laugh:. This is VNT country. We don't need no stinken wastegates!:woot woot:
Put two of those VNT turbos on the Masi motor of yours. Dare to be different.:cool:
Todd

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hmm, I have a quality TIG welder but I can't do welds like that:eek: Then again, it may be the operator;) What kind of rod is that Todd, not that I'm trying to steal any 8V secrets over here:rolleyes:

Alan

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, I have a quality TIG welder but I can't do welds like that:eek: Then again, it may be the operator;) What kind of rod is that Todd, not that I'm trying to steal any 8V secrets over here:rolleyes:

Alan
Alan,
Can you believe that stock VNT elbow? That's short turn is pathetic.:eek:

My welder isn't big enough to weld cast, so I had it done by a fabrication shop near my house. That, and I can't weld like that either:p. This guy has been building you name it for 35 years. He used brass. I told him I was worried about the melting temp of brass. He said he's been repairing cracked cast exhaust manifolds for 35 years and never has one came back melted. His brass rod has a melting point about 1750 degrees. He said the exhaust temp at the port could get that high, but never the outside of the elbow. He said you will nuke pistons long before you will melt this.
He doesn't like you use anything else like nickel as it can easily fracture the colder part of what you are welding. He said, been there and done that.

The other place I go for welding (if it's really beyond my capabilities) is Crow cast welding. Cast Metal Restoration & Custom Welding Services. Hudson, WI
This guy flame sprays cast parts. He gets parts from all over the world. This guy can even put cast texture back into the repaired piece! He is the guy that built up all the material in Quacks IHI masi swingvalve. That thing was a work of art. Went from 2 1/8" hole to 3"! That guy is about a hour drive from me. He does all my welding when I make TBI headers. No worries about cracked welds with this guy.
The only thing I don't like about flame spray welding is that the whole piece gets so hot it can start to distort machined surfaces. Trying to find someone to re-machine the donut bell is a challenge.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd see a VNT mated to a masi motor:eek:. Sure you don't need two of those turbos on that cylinder head :D? How does the calibration work? Pretty lean I'll bet without some serious added fuel. I needed 72lb injectors on Quacks Masi GLHS. The CFM flow of those two heads can't be much further apart! Looks like a beautiful job fabricating.
Todd

·
Registered
295 Posts
Todd,
I was just comparing the photo to the VNT turbo I have sitting in the back of my store...Very Nice!
Combining that with a T28 compressor wheel might be kinda interesting...hmmmm.

The other Todd

1 - 17 of 17 Posts