Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

First,Im new here but not new to DodgesCurrently own a rwd 83 Caravelle and a 70 Dart.

Niether of these is what I want to talk about though,lol!

Looks like we'll be getting an 89 Plymouth Caravan with a smoking 3.0 litre.I'd like to rebuild the engine and turbocharge it.The thing doesnt have to be screamin fast,but I'd like to surprise people,say a 13 second ride?This needs to be done on a budget.

So, Im all ears now...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
If you need to put it on a tight budget, then turbocharging it wouldnt be the way to go. You could spend about the same amount of money just the turbocharge the 3.0 as you would buying and modifying a 2.5Turbo Van.

Of course you would need to replace the entire bottom end, bearings, rods, pins, pistons, etc. It has been done. But succesfully, as of now I think only 2 people have succesfully turbocharged a 3.0.

PM Turbo3.0 or MWinkle and ask either about it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
dropping a turbo 2.5 should be easy. 89 vans had turbos. change the harness and engine and trans. There have been a few harnesses and computers for sale on here latley. The 3.0 smokes because the valve guides drop. Do a search here on that subject it has been discused here receintly. Its just doing the guides in the heads.
Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told that the conversion to 2.5 isnt that easy,the wiring from front to back needs to be changed.

Has anyone done this conversion?

I know I can make big power with the 2.5 turbo and would like to do this swap,but gotta have more info.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
It should be striaght forward. Do a search on here for it. I have read threads about it and have paid not much attension to them because I'm not doing one. I have listened a little because I would like to do one. If the harness comes out of the same vehicle it should be just an under hood swap.
Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts