Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A long time ago I posted about putting a Daytona engine in a 88 Horizon Auto using an assortment of from a J-Y OmniT and an Omni N/A 5-speed. The EFI and ignition is of my own design and fabrication (more later)

I feel like I know every nut and bolt on the car. After the first start I had two serious problems, low oil pressure and low fuel pressure.

I used a like new oil pump (less than 500 miles). There was a problem in the relief system (maching or casting flaw that kept if from working). I placed a new spring in the old pump and the problem was fixed.

The fuel pressure was another problem. I started by using the pumps from the J-Y OmniT. That all lasted 30 seconds and both locked up! I found a place called e-fuelpumps.com. I ordered a Omni turbo pump rom them and was dissapointed in what I received. Not sure what I got, no. real data. Filter assembly did not fit pump. Pump did not fit sender unit. After much fabrication, I tested the pump and could only get 30 psi with return line blocked. I checked the pump assemby again and no luck. I was able to start and run the car however when warm the pressure dropped to 10 psi. I took the original external Bosch pump apart, cleaned and resealed (crimped). It worked! I use the other intank pump to feed it!

Setting up the EMS has been slow because lack of experience with the engine operating parameters. I started with setting typical of a 2.0L VW/Porsche engine and found that I needed to significantly increase injector ON times to get the engine to run. The idle injector time is near 5mS. I started there and added fuel in the VE table with increasing values for both MAP and RPM. I have been using the Narrow band O2 sensor to monitor and tune to ~850mV. I have a mode that highlights the VE table green for the current operating area. I then move around the VE table with concervative RPM and loads to tune the upper left quadrant of the VE table. Performance in the N/A is good. I have also tried very brief boost runs and WoW!
I think I am going to like turbos! Smooth quite power without a muffler. What a push.

I will post more data on my ignition and fuel setting as time permits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I just finished the work on my 87 t1 to 89 omni conversion. I used a 255 lph walboro fuel pump from Front Wheel Drive Performance. It works quite well so far, 1 week. Im quite impressed with the cars performance dispite driving the poorly tuned donor daytona. your much more daring than myself with the wiring. Cudos to you for it. I simply scabbed the harness and all from the daytona.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wiring turned out well. I was able to use all the original color codes. I added a couple wires for the fuel pressure sensing and the direct fire ignition. Having the single ECU eliminated all the wiring between the LM an PM. I estimate the reduction in the harness weight of 50%. I used 2 of my EMS units coupled with a high speed serial port. This gives 16 analog inputs and 16 outputs.

I have a few features including waste gate control, detonation sensor, speed sensor, brake monitor, fuel pacer, power loss, egr, and fuel purge that are wired, but not implemented in software except for the ability to toggle or read for testing.

I did get the OEM tach to work with my EMS tach output signal that gives a pulse for each ignition event.

My big challenge now is to keep an eye on all the information and tune. I find having someone else driving helps greatly.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top