Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my omni glh rippin again,it finaly runs good,i was bad today and boosted it up to 12-13psi,loved it,but my question is,i didnt here any pre-detonation?..if the boost is to high,shouldnt you here some pre detonation?,I am running 94 octain and a offroad lodgic module,but my old motor used to like crazy when i boosted it that high?...thanks...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well im just wondering if its ok to go higher then?.....if its not pre detonating,no damage is being done?..

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
I thought I would chime in here to clear some confusion...

There's no such thing as pre-detonation.

There is pre-ignition and there is detonation.
they are two different phenomena.

Detonation is the fuel charge exploding due to heat and pressure. That is where octane comes in to play - resistance to exploding under pressure.

Pre-ignition is the fuel charge being ignited by anything other than a controlled spark. For example: a hot spot in the combustion chamber or if the spark plug itself is too hot.

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
BTW

I'm glad to hear you got your car running good and are enjoying it...
Why tempt fate? The weather is finally getting good. Drive it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats what im going to do,i should play it safe....i was just wondering what the signs of over boosting would be....because i wanted to occasionaly turn it up to 12 or so when the time came...

·
Registered
145 Posts
buy an air fuel guage. cheaper than a new engine.

running boost any higher than stock on any occasion. this is like a condom for having sex with a woman you dont know.. you just gotta have it. :cool:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Pre-ignition, detonation, spark-knock are all different name's for the same thing. Microscopic engine damage. As stated earlier, an EGT gauge is the cheapest insurance you can get, but you have to pay attention to it. I believe everyone on this forum has changed something on their vehicle to make it more powerful. Even a turbo is boring in stock condition. More boost = more power, we all know that. The old saying,"Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?", is even more true with TD's. You either buy good parts and build it right, or cut corners, break parts and build it over. Some people say a car is similar to a marriage- you only get out what you put in. Not true. You can cherish a car, pamper it, neglect it, ignore it, abuse it, or beat the shit out of it but you can always start over from scratch. Everything mechanical can be repaired, if you have the money. Spark-knock from an engine is like a wife crying. She's telling you that you're doing something wrong. If you don't change something, it's going to cost you!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
To answer your question, yes you can go up to 12-13 psi w/out damage IF your EGT's aren't too high. The computer will give you no more fuel after 14 psi. It will overboost & shut down past 14.7 psi. If you're dialed in at 12 psi & you have boost creep up past 14.7, you'll overboost, too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers thanks......i used to get boost creep with my old motor,not with this one though?....ill keep it dialed at 10psi,99% of the time anyway....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts