Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Shelby daytona 2.5 with a updated turbo 2 and intercooler and 3" magnaflow exhaust system. Anyway, I'm going to pull the turbo and have it rebuilt and I'm wondering if there is a easier way than pulling the head to get to it? I was thinking that you might be able to loosen the motor mounts and exhaust and rotate the engine forward. Does anybody know if this is do able? Thanks

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Its doable, things are cramped and frozen nuts are common.

Try to use 6 point wrenches/sockets to loosen stuff.

12 point can be the enemy!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Easier to pull head. Cheaper to pull the turbo without removing the head. As Randy states it can be done, but certainly isn't easier. Sort of depends on whether your time is worth anything to you. If you can get the 5 swingvalve nuts off without snapping the bolts off, it makes getting two of the bolts that hold the turbo to the exhaust flange much easier to loosen. Think of a $50 bill for every bolt you snap off. That is about what you'll pay to have someone drill and extract the broken off bolt (unless you can successfully do it yourself). Another bolt is back by the water feed for the turbo. Pretty much need to take this line off as well as the brass fitting to get to this bolt.
You shouldn't need to rotate engine forward. I never have had to.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
the main ? is how long ago was turbo off ?

I just pulled mine on my omni with a hoist took me about an hour..
but this turbo was off 3 years ago and hd anti seize on the threads so I dint have to fight that.
. just the cramped access..
certainly possible !
not too bad really with a hoist and proper assortment of tools

ps even my swingvalve/downpipe bolts came off woithout a fight !
I LOVE antiseize ! lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The turbo I don't know how long it's been on there. But the head has only been on for a couple yrs it was replaced with some cheapo knock off no name brand head from previous owner. If I pull the head I'm definitely going to port and polish and maybe even replace the head with a oem dodge factory head. Just didn't want to open up more of a project lol. Like one of you said breaking bolts is no fun. And I just replaced timing belt and pulleys not long ago as well. It runs good just consuming alot of oil due to turbo leaking after switching to mobile1 synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
... If I pull the head I'm definitely going to port and polish and maybe even replace the head with a oem dodge factory head....
Just so you know NOS heads from Chrysler are long gone. You will need to decide new aftermarket head (I wouldn't recommend that option, cuz they suck), or remanned cylinder head. Most parts for our cars have long been discontinued.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've put my front end in Jack stands, disconnected the lower A arms, disconnected the rack and opinion, and I've dropped the K frame. Really wasn't that bad. Once that's off, the rest is super easy. I'm getting ready to pull my turbo off and that's to route im taking due I replaced the head a few years ago and don't want to mess with what's not broken.
I also had AAMCO do my clutch 3 years ago, they had the K frame off, shudda R&R the turbo back then!

·
Legendary Driver
10,937 Posts
And you just screwed the alignment by dropping the kframe. Nice $150 bill to get it done right and put back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts