Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 94 dodge spirit with a 2.5l tbi
i have found a old t1 spirit at the wrecker the other day. the turbo was still there with manifold.
is it possible to turbo my spirit with a little custom work?

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
hey i have a 94 dodge spirit with a 2.5l tbi
i have found a old t1 spirit at the wrecker the other day. the turbo was still there with manifold.
is it possible to turbo my spirit with a little custom work?
Yes with a LOT of custom work.TBI engine not really suitable for turbo. .They have higher compression pistons and weak L/W rods. Then theres the head ,it needs the turbo exhaust valves.+ all the wiring and computer s are different. If you get the whole 91 car and rebuild the 2.5 turbo engine(if it needs it-it is in aJY)then you could swap everything into your car. LOTS of work. Easier to sell your car and buy a Spirit turbo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the turbo car i found has all the the engine parts i need minus the wiring and computer.
so i can rebuild the engine with the stronger parts. i just need to find out how to mod the fuel system

·
Premium Member
9,045 Posts
IDK, a "TBI -> Turbo" conversion is pretty straight forward work,

certainly not "custom" since yur using all factory parts !?

people have turbo'd the TBI engine by just swapping the intake&exhaust mani's, wiring harness, computer
(keeping the weaker pistons,etc. and higher CR) ...
and had it survive AS LONG AS they kept the boost low (<6-7 psi).
turn it up, and you will melt a piston, or an exhaust valve ..

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TD!!!
I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum where you will be more visable and get more help from members.
Any questions feel free to contact me or any of the staff.
Thanks,
Jan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have found the internals i need. i just havent found the electrical.
is there a way i can mod the tbi fuel system to handle boost???

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
you would be better finding a turbo donor and pulling all necessary turbo specific parts.
Q

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
do yourself a huge favor, listen to what everyone is telling you- dont try to make a tbi engine a turbo- you're almost garanteed to blow it up in short order. the computer, fuel system and such are completely different.
since you found a factory turbo car in the yard your best bet is to just grab the entire engine, and trans ( turbo transmissions are stronger than non turbo) , rebuild the turbo engine and drop it in. you also need a different fuel pump- stock tbi is around 12 psi where the turbo is 55 psi with way more fuel flow. the gas tanks are even different, but you can use a non turbo gas tank if you want, the only difference between them is the turbo tank has baffles to keep the fuel pickup covered with fuel durring cornering. you can re-use the tbi fuel lines. a computer and wiring harness can be found without too much trouble, if anything id tell you to grab the harness thats in the donor car you found and make whatever repairs are nessesary to it.

its a fair amount of work to go from tbi to turbo, but its less work if you do it the right way instead of trying to rig up somthing on the tbi engine. plus if you take the time to do it right everything will work the way its supposed to, which is way more fun than pulling your hair out when somthing goes wrong.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
Or just buy a turbo car.

Cheaper, less headache, and more reliable.

Face it, if you want to do a TBI to turbo swap, it is not going to be a weekend deal.
Thats very true. But if he wanted to keep his car its not too hard to swap it.
Q

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
A turbo conversion is not that difficult. As long as you find a compatible donor the electrics will be plug and play, for the most part. Your 94 has a different dash harness than that 91, so you will have to swap that in as well as the engine electronics. But it is all compatible. Not as simple as putting the turbo manifolds on and keeping the TBI electronics. You need to swap all the running gear and if it is automatic, the TBI gear box is weaker.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well thanx guys for ur input.
i have no access to a turbo computer or wiring harness. so i was wonderin if i can mod my current fuel system. i think i might try and go for a N/A set up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts