Turbo Dodge Forums banner

turbo to intake plumbing

520 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  glhsdrew
I've got an 85 SC with the usual T1,,, draw through turbo setup. from the throttle body to the turbo inlet housing, and from outlet of the turbo to the intake manifold there are short, rubbery hoses making those connections. Also, there was some kind of support for the hose inside that is some sort of an air divider I suppose,, makes a + sign if you look straight down at it in the hose . I'm positive these are factory hoses.
I'm not the first person to have a hand underhood in this car, just wanted to check a couple things.

Does that plastic air divider in the middle of the hose go into both of them? Also, do they really need to be in there? It seems like they are needed to keep the hoses from flexing too much.
Seems to me that they would almost impede airflow,, I'm flowing more air now with ported manifolds and was wondering if I couldn't gain a little bit from removing them?
Anybody got a good idea for replacement hoses? Something a little stiffer that can handle the vacuum/boost
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
They are vaccum lines, tell us specifically what you want to do with this car, and we can let you know how to route the lines for what yeh need. Just go to Autostoned or something of the sort and pick up a bunch of vaccum lines and replace them ONE BY ONE. Make sure not to confuse them.

As for the + looking thing, Ive seen one before, but have no clue what it might be.
I'm not talking about the slew of little bitty vacuum lines running everywhere, I'm talking about the actual connection from below the throttle body to the turbo inlet, and then from the turbo outlet to the intake manifold,, the actual path of air that gets sucked through the air filter,and gets mixed with fuel and combusts

I should replace al those tiny vacuum line too though, they are old and brittle. I have been having trouble fining the right line,, autozone around here doesnt sell them. I could replace them all with rubber lines,, but i've heard stories of the rubber lines "flexing" under the stress of boost, and would prefer the factory-style hard lines that will not flex. Is there truth to this rumor about flexing?

So there's alternative ways to route the vacuum lines for performance mods? I'd like to learn about that! It's a daily driver car but is hopped up a bit.
fresh complete rebuild T1/5spd, stock injectors and turbo, FM 475 cam/lifters/rockers, MP comp., FM ported intake/exhaust manifolds,high volume oil pump and fuel pump.

See less See more
I think the + sign device is called a flow straightener. It was apparently to get rid of yurbulance in the turbo discharge. Don't know how critical it is as I didn't use any of my early T1 stuff.
I've replaced all of those hoses on my car with fuel filler hose. 2" inside diameter I believe. They have a thick steel wire that is wrapped around them to keep them from collapsing. I got rid of the little + thingy on mine cause it was starting to melt. I kept blowing holes in my thin stock hoses and I think the turbo had to spin a lot faster (sounded like it) to make the same boost. this made the compressor outlet temps go up and melt that little plastic thing. I haven't noticed any ill effects from not having it . For the vacuum lines, get some steel brake tubing. It is easily cut and bent, and will not crack and break like plastic. Just use short pieces of rubber to make all your connections. Good luck! :thumb:
  • Like
Reactions: 1
Hey I know what your talking about there are there for exacly what you think but I am pretty shure there are only there for long term duribility I got rid of mine and noticed no change iether, it is such a small factor I would port a head out good with a mached ported plenium intake rather than the log it alone is such change it will make you laugh but ya i donèt see any harm in it.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.