Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just got my car an Intercooler which is the stock mopar I/C. I got a 91 Daytona 2.5l Turbo1 with mitsu and just Intercooled the car with TII setup, which was the Rad I/C combo and TII airbox. Now i see that stock BOV on it was for T1 cars and TII's doesnt have bov so right now i lost my BOV :( So how much boost am i safe without bov on it? I dont want the turbo get damage, i will keep it like this for a while till get a BOV but am i safe right now? Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,935 Posts
ANY amount of boost can back up into the compressor. The more boost the worse the problem is. And I've found the Mitsu is much worse than the Garrett. I would imagine it has something to do with it being smaller. You could let it surge a bunch of times at low boost and it would probably be fine. But personally I cringe every time I hear it and I certainly wouldn't chance ruining the turbo.

The thing I don't get is why the true T2 cars don't have them and you don't really notice the surging ever. But if you don't run one on a T1 garrett (blow through not draw through) then it will usually surge. Wonder what the difference is. :confused:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
ive never seen any hard proof that lack of a bov shortens the life of a turbo or causes damage to it in any way...
no turbo ford product (at least in the us) ever came with a bov or bypass valve of any sort. and there are plenty of them that still have the original 20+ year old turbo on them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Right my Tbird has the original IHI on it at 162,000 miles. It pushed the stock 15 psi its whole life and Ive had it pushing 18 psi for over 20,000. No bov or bpv.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,935 Posts
Maybe so. I mean, the T2's never had them and some of those are still going strong. My 2.5 with Mitsu doesn't have one right now and it sounds like a bunch of feet shuffling across the floor every time you let off the throttle. This is a recent intercooled setup using the factory parts. In original T1 form it had a BOV and I never had a problem. I'm not running it hard or anything right now since I just swapped the engine into the car, but I'll be looking at a BOV setup as soon as possible. Plus it just sounds cool when you let off and there's a Pshhhhhhhhhhhh. :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe the ford's turbos are made somehow special that works without bov. But im concerned that Mitsu cant take it, still not sure, the guy told me he has one, how hard is it to install one? Is it too complicated or someone with a good knowledge can do it in an hour or so? Does it need welding or something like that? thnx guys for the help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
almost any exhaust shop will weld up a bung on a piece of exhaust pipe you can fit into your T2 (turbo to IC) line so you can hook a bov up to it. After that its even easier to cut some holes into a T2 airbox so you can put a stock bov into it. mine looks like it was supposed to go there.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
who is saying that TIIs never had a bov, im pretty sure 88 and up TII had one in the stock airbox whether it was a mitsu or garrett turbo

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
ya my dad has an 87 glhs that he bought in 87 and he has ran the crap outa the car with all stock components and turbo is still as healthy as the day it was new

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
well I'm going to be putting a G1 talon bov on my TII set up. The way I see it, is it can't hurt the turbo...whether it actually helps it or not. And it sounds pretty sweet!

Just my 2 cents. (oh and I do believe it makes it easier on the turbo)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts