Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're thinking of purchasing a PT Turbo. Will any of you who have them please tell me if they are worth the extra money? We've been pleased with our limited edition, so we're unsure if we really need to go to the turbo. I would appreciate any help or information you could give us. Thanks! ?:|

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I think they have great power. I test drove one but never bought one because of negative equity plus I have to much time and money in what I have. I'll just go the aftermarket route and would like to eventually add a turbo to mine. That would be the cheaper route rather than trading what yoiu have.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've been really enjoying mine.

I don't race it, it will never see a track, but I do drive in some fairly agressive traffic and the Umph is quite handy.

I went from a 3.5 liter V6 (Dodge Intrepid ES) to the PT Turbo and I don't see any performance hits.

I have been able to accellerate rapidly and pass when I want to pass, whether I'm doing 40 or 80..

I only drove a non-turbo PT a few times, so I can't comment in detail about the difference, though I will say that when I have about 500 pounds in the GT and am accellerating UP a hill from a dead stop, it still goes like mad if I want it to.

I do find the seating in the turbo (I have leather) to be a decent amount more comfortable. I still wish the seat itself was about 3 to 4 inches deeper (I'm 6'3).

About the only downside seems to be the lack of mods that work on the Turbo. :)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
PTfromFL - If you want/need extra power, then definitely go for it! That was the only reason I traded in my 2001 for a GT. Well, I loved the color Electric Blue too :D I don't know what the gas prices are like down your way, but in case you don't know, turbos require PREMIUM gas ONLY. That means more out of your pocket at the pump. But, it's totally been worth it for me.

This car has been lots of fun to drive in the 2 weeks I've had it! I love my GT!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PT Turbo

I like to color too now that it is in production! When we saw it at CTF II, I don't think it was the same color. Thanks for the help.
Brenda

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey,outta curiosity,what ever became of the early issue on the GTs of Chrysler leaving the rear sway bars off?

InfernoRed

·
Registered
59 Posts
PTFromFL,

Test drive them both on the same trip and see what it's worth to you. For me, I was dead set on the turbo and limited the options to keep price down. The difference just wasn't that great to me based on the performance difference for me. Besides the turbo helps too when all four seats are taken and the back has my dog! No problems getting the PT moving then either!

·
Registered
178 Posts
According to DC, all of 2003 Turbo's have sway control built into the rear axle. The early 2003 Turbo's sticker (mine included) listed "Stabilizer Bar-Rear" yet the bolt on external sway bar from previous years was not there. Many owners complained. DC responded by removing the "Stabilizer Bar-Rear" from the stickers and telling dealers NOT to install the external sway bar. They claim that handling would be impaired by adding the external sway bar. Some agree with this, many disagree. Since none of the hardware is included, it does require acquiring a number of pieces just to attach an external rear sway bar.

It seems that I did see one road test that showed the 2003 Turbo had slightly better lateral acceleration on the skidpad than the none Turbo's. Don't know how the 2003 Turbo stacks up against the 2002's.

·
Registered
267 Posts
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/pc37053a0f83f195c9d00ddbde2573c83/fca3e347.jpg
dyno of a stock '03 GT 5 spd manual
that alone speaks for itself. :) putting down at the wheels about what it is rated at the flywheel.
I LOVE mine, and get ~32-33mpg on the highway, and mid to high 20's in the city. I drive with a *VERY* light foot when i'm not at the drag strip or auto-xing. In fact i *never* get into boost when driving on the street, or commuting the 160mile daily commute.
All in all i test drove an auto PT, a manual PT, an auto GT and a manual GT, and i wound up buying the manual GT because it was just a hoot to toss around and the motor had quite the pull for not being broken in and not taking it above 3500rpms.
if you want extra power and ease in passing and the ability to upgrade it without touching the internals to make more power down the road, definatly do it. But if you're not wanting the extra comsumption in fuel, and wont really 'use' or want to use the extra power, keep what you have if your happy with it, because that is what counts. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I never drove a non turbo so I really don't know the difference.
All I can say is its a blast to drive!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have had both a PT Limited EDition and now have the GT Turbo and its a blast.Hate having to use 93 octane but its worth the power.Got AutoStick and third gear will take you down the boulevard in a flash.Both Cruisers were Almond Metallic.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a 2001 Limited that was totalled (with me in it, unfortunately). Then I had a 2002 Limited that the wife had a fender bender in. While the 2002 was at the dealer getting fixed, my salesman pal threw me the keys to a 2003 Turbo. After driving it, I couldn't get my check book out fast enough.

I'd own the turbo even if it meant sitting on milk crates instead of seats if that's all I could afford.

:)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
screamingdan said:
Have had both a PT Limited EDition and now have the GT Turbo and its a blast.Hate having to use 93 octane but its worth the power.Got AutoStick and third gear will take you down the boulevard in a flash.Both Cruisers were Almond Metallic.
Be careful using that 93 octane. The manual specifically says they do not recommend using higher than 91. Although, we don't have 91 around here. LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
octane

I don't think they have 91 any more,my son is a terminal manager at a fuel dist. and he says there isn't any 91 in North Carolina.I put 87 octane in at half tank and then reverse that at next tank.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I love my Turbo! :x You can't beat the extra power boost, and I can't help driving it still like my old sports cars. Drove a Limited for a week in the Midwest, it had enough power most times -- but not for highway ramp acceleration and we were not towing anything. If you have mtns. to contend with, I definitely would go Turbo if you can tolerate the low trade-in $$ for your current PT.

Gas Mileage on the Autostick so far is 20mpg which I'm not thrilled with, but know it should increase after the break-in period. I can still play in "stick-mode" while my husband will only drive Auto (minus my Fuzzy Dice.) We have 91 octane here for Super so guess it depends where you live -- when we lived in Chicago, Super was 93 octane.

Sway Bar is still a ?? for mine. It's listed on the sticker for a car I bought 4 weeks ago. The dealership has been less than responsive when I brought the ? up on night of purchase and since then. They claim their service guy is President of PT Cruiser Club, but yet to hear anything back. (He was out sick, etc. and I haven't been following up lately to see what their stock answer on sway bar is.) From earlier threads, some dealers add it on against DC's direction while others are clueless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The octane of the gas doesn't matter unless it is too low. I miss the cargo net and folding mirrors. The other missing stuff I don't miss.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I love my turbo...use 89 octane in here...haven't found anyplace around here that has 91....I drove an 01 limited, even had one on order before they said it would be 6 to 8 months before she arrived...I wouldn't trade my Turbo for anything...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts