Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the past month I bought from FWD a turbonetics t3/t4 trim 50 stage 1 and it was installed on my mexican spirit R/T 2.5 turbo, but I can't get more than 7 psi of boost even when the rpm are on 5000/5500, so I decided to go to a pressure test and it was a fuk&%$n leak on the compressor housing, so I had to remove the turbo from the engine to see what's going on and...

... the turbo didn't have an o'ring or gasket:mad::mad:

well, after that with a new gasket and all the stuff and turbo ok installed on my car, once again I cant get more than 7 psi,

**I checked pressure test ok,
**the can actuator is very very strong to move(so is not leaking for the swingvalve, even Its was revised for proper seating of the coin)
**I checked the proper seating from the exhaust flange and the turbo ok

any suggestions please:confused::confused::confused:

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good question, I'm using a G-valve,

after the problem, the g-valve was disconected from the turbo and the hose closed with a plug to prevent leakings to see something wrong with the g-valve, but nothing happened, same 7 psi boost...

· Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,968 Posts
Did you try to remove the vacuum hose from the wastegate? See if you can get over 7psi like that. Just be very careful of the boost spike
I think he was saying he removed the g-valve and plugged the vacuum side, leaving the wastegate open.

If the wastegate line is unplugged and you're still only getting 7 psi then you probably have a boost leak somewhere (it's not likely it's a bad turbo, but checking for leaks is easy enough anyway). Double check all of your vacuum lines, your PCV system, and the intercooler/hoses for holes or anything not sealed properly.

Does your turbo have an adjustable arm on the wastegate? If so, make sure it isn't being forced open all the time by the arm being adjusted out too far.

· Registered
86 Posts
Do you have an orface tube between the Y that goes to the wasegate control solenoid and the wastegate? If not this orface tube should be between the Y and the titty on the outlet side of the turbo.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think he was saying he removed the g-valve and plugged the vacuum side, leaving the wastegate open.

If the wastegate line is unplugged and you're still only getting 7 psi then you probably have a boost leak somewhere (it's not likely it's a bad turbo, but checking for leaks is easy enough anyway). Double check all of your vacuum lines, your PCV system, and the intercooler/hoses for holes or anything not sealed properly.

Does your turbo have an adjustable arm on the wastegate? If so, make sure it isn't being forced open all the time by the arm being adjusted out too far.
mmhh. so your point is that the swingvalve it could be leaking, actually the turbo It doesn't have adjustable arm on the wastegate turbo, but the arm it has being forced to hard to closed position because if you want to move the wastegate arm with the hand, it's very difficult to do that.

but I'm going to double check on the vac.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have an orface tube between the Y that goes to the wasegate control solenoid and the wastegate? If not this orface tube should be between the Y and the titty on the outlet side of the turbo.

in fact, I'm not using solenoid between the turbo and the wastegate, only use a

**turbo pressure hose-g valve-wastegate actuator, but at this time, it was removed the g valve to check boost and all the same.

· Registered
2,433 Posts
Are you sure the wastegate door is fully covering the bypass on the turbine side? You may want to remove the wastegate and make sure it's fully closing as your pressure may be escaping through there? I'd also just grab a chunk of rad hose and run it from the turbo to the throttle body to eliminate the possiblility of a hose or intercooler leaking. Try that and see what you find.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It has to bne some sort of wastegate issue. Im guessing its internally gated. So make sure the flapper is opening and closing all the way.

It could be possible, sound good, to good but it's the second time that I checked the waste gate flapper and seems to be seating good;

I'm using av-gas 100/110 oct and something special happened when we use that gasoline, is very easy enough to see if a exhaust leak is on the stuff, because the smoke on the swing valve or turbine wheel or exhaust manifold even in the moffle pipe is white not black, so in my case the turbine housing hole seems to be full sealed.

· Registered
126 Posts
It could be possible, sound good, to good but it's the second time that I checked the waste gate flapper and seems to be seating good;

I'm using av-gas 100/110 oct and something special happened when we use that gasoline, is very easy enough to see if a exhaust leak is on the stuff, because the smoke on the swing valve or turbine wheel or exhaust manifold even in the moffle pipe is white not black, so in my case the turbine housing hole seems to be full sealed.
Are you saying that you are able to make a visual inspection of the puck sitting against the bypass hole with the car running? Try not to get burned. OUCH. Seriously though, drop the downpipe...when its cold get a flash light and apply some regulated pressure to the actuator. Make sure it operates properly and does not hang up. If it appears to operate properly make sure the puck covers the hole completely. Disconnect the actuator, open the valvee put some grease around the bypass whole and then close and open the puck. Did the grease transer all around the puck? The only other thing I can think of is a crack in the turbine housing or a boost leak somewhere else. Do you know how to do a boost leak check?

· Registered
1,157 Posts
my turbonetics turbos never had a seal either. I'd assume its a machine-fit. Looks like you need to pressure test the wastegate and piping.

· Registered
4,660 Posts
I have heard of leaky turbonetics before and people sealing the backplates with rtv silicone. I would re-assemble and look for the leak. Oil has no business being there either.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.