Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i read this somewhere on this forum, but will a Turbocharged Charger fuel tank work in a 85 Carb'd Turismo

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you mean the vent and return line

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes, but you need the pickup from a carb tank,the line out lets are on the same side of car.
I'm running a na tank on my tbi turismo for now but have a turbo tank to install
only difference is the anti slosh bowl in the turbo tank
good luck
M.M.

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
I know i read this somewhere on this forum, but will a Turbocharged Charger fuel tank work in a 85 Carb'd Turismo
it depends. what are you trying to do ?

1. convert a carby 85 2-dr to turbo ?
then YES,
a turbo L 2-dr tank is obviously what you need.
mainly because it has the mounting for the high pressure EFI fuel pump.
you will need to (at minimum) add a return line to the fuel tank,
or as suggested swap the '3-line' bundle from a turbo car.

2. replace a bad carby tank with a turbo/EFI tank ?
then MAYBE,
it *will* _bolt in_ place, but will not be a 'bolt-in' because of the difference in fuel line routing...

·
Super Moderator
11,870 Posts
if doing turbo swap , install turbo style fuel lines when motor is out of car .

It is easier to push them back in/under firewall and above K frame when motor is out , then it is to jack car up and feed the fuel lines between K frame & firewall & motor from underneath

85 turismo , you can swap turbo fuel pump/pickup/sender with new lock ring & gasket this gives the provision for return line and fuel feed line > I think you can even do swap without droping tank (depending on internal/external pump) - 85 may already have some kind of shield at p up it tank - I never had problems with mine

2.2 speed secrets book says do not beat on turbo car with less than 1/4 tank as pick up may starve leading to lean cond.......

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Does the carb application not have a return line? Pretty sure I saw a feed return line and vapor line coming from the tank on the carb'd vehicles. It's on the driver's side (the feed) and the passenger side (the return) but it's still there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
yes
they pick ups and return line are in the same spot.
they both have a float assy. for fuel gauge.
turbo and efi have a mount for pump and carb does not
just did one 2 months ago

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am replacing a rusty crappy tank and ebay has a tank for $96 with free shipping and its for a charger with turbo and just wanting to put it in my turismo and yes carb cars has a feed, and a return and a vent line, so does the turbo tank have more the one hole for pump and one for a sending unit or is it have one hole for the all in one pump, like the carb cars have

·
Registered
304 Posts
L bodys have one one on right side of tank.
Daytona's and other bodys have two holes
one for sender and one for pump
L's sender and pump are on one mount.
only difference in tanks is the baffel for the pump

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have no problem replacing the fuel lines as the gas was in the car since 1989 and it was BAD but they will be ran like factory, so the turbo tank will fit, and the baffles wont harm the carb pickup and wont starve it, i just want to get this right because i dont want to order it and put it in the car and car starves for fuel and i have to put a different tank it

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have a 85 with turismo with supercharger, where is the vent line, i only have feed and vapor recovery hooked up.
the vent line is on the top of the tank also called the Rollover valve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts