Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn signals not working on my 92 daytona,I have looked at the fuses none are poped,I have back up lights, parking lights, brake lights & running lights but not turn signals, I was thinking a bad wire or ground or the switch but the high beams work any idea`s ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just changed the turn signal flasher relay and still nothing, Any way to test them ??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the problem,it was the connector on the switch it was loose i reflowed the solder and there working now, only thing now is the left blinks at nomal pace but the right one blinks like it`s on crack, I was thinking it was the flasher relay any input would be useful...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It was a bulb on the passenger side back tail light. I had another question now ... my speedo does not work i swapped it out and checked the fuses it still does nothing, I did not know if you could test the connection at the transmission if it would be ohm`s or voltage ? any idea`s would be helpful

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the key dance and got 12 & 55 is there any other way to test the speedo ? I seen the gears are a common problem but with my speedo the odometer does not work either, from what i can tell everything else works. I have swapped the speed sensor too with no luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i figured out why my speedo & odometer dont work.....the 20 & 16 teeth blue gears were broke

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
The gears only run the odometer, the speedo is electric and drives the odometer through the gears.

If the speedo itself is inop you have another issue along with the gears.

(6)90 Instrument Cluster Gauge Testing 3.jpg (6)90 Instrument Cluster Gauge Testing 4.jpg

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
Only if you have access to a scanner or a lab scope.

Chances are if there is not a Code 15 stored in memory the VSS is not a problem.

That does not mean there is not an issue with the wiring from the VSS to cluster and if there is a wiring issue after the splice and the controller continues to see a speed signal there will not be any code set.
You would have to use an ohmmeter to check continuity from the VSS to the cluster.
The speed signal to the cluster is on a WT/OR Wire at Cavity 5 of the Right Cluster Connector, it runs to the engine compartment through Bulkhead Connector Cavity 42.
Cavities 3 and 4 are empty and Cavity #6 is a GY/LB Wire.

My speedo failed electrically a few years back, I got another one from a member on this site who was parting a 90/91/92 Daytona Turbo W/140 MPH Speedo, I put my odometergears.com gears in it and reset the mileage to where my mileage was and all has been fine ever since.(KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

VSS 1.jpg VSS 2.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
from the plugin on the back of the speedo i dont think im getting any continuity ( my Multimeter dont beep) but i get a reading of 11380 for a split sec then i get nothing, does the signal go thru any relays ? If it dont could i run new wires to the sbec ?

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
You are not getting continuity from the cluster R/S connector cavity #5 WT/OR wire to the VSS connector WT/OR wire?
There are no relays, it is a straight signal from the VSS to the SMEC and Cluster.
The wire does split in the harness to run to both components.
Be sure your ohmmeter is on the correct scale.

PM being Sent.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i tested from the connection on the speedo (the black one) WT/OR wire on pos and GY/LB Wire on neg and got a reading of 11380 for a split sec then i get nothing, so i when under the hood and tested the WT/OR wire on pos and GY/LB Wire on neg at the smec connecter and got continuity.

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
Checking continuity on Circuit C7, VSS WT/OR Wire to Instrument Cluster WT/OR Wire located at the Instrument Cluster R/S 14 Pin Connector Cavity 5.

IMG_20200729_163642.jpg

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
That was step 4 of the diagnostics I posted in post 7, now you need to perform step 3.

·
Administrator
24,677 Posts
Your next step is to check voltage at the speedometer connector on the back of the cluster circuit board.
Disconnect the speedometer connector at the rear/center of the cluster circuit board, the two 14 pin cluster connectors stay plugged in and with the key on probe the ignition and ground terminals of the speedometer connector (see attachment), you should read battery voltage.

I cannot be certain on this since it is not shown in the wiring and I have never checked it.
It appears that the speed signal comes from the VSS on the OR/WT wire to the instrument cluster R/S connector cavity 5 and then runs through the PCB to the speedometer connector top terminal.
Check continuity from cavity 5 to the top terminal of the speedo connector. (see attachment)

If you have voltage and continuity then the issue is with the speedometer itself.
thumbnail.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just tested like you have pictured and i got 12.06 volts, And i have tested cavity 5 to top terminal of the speedo connector and i have continuity.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to a u pull it got a speedo cluster out of a 94 lebaron and my speedo still don`t work. When i took it apart to inspect it i noticed on the bottom left corner of the speedo it says Denso and the inside of the speedo is totally different.... maybe a better model ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts