Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 Dodge Daytona. I also have an '88 service manual. I wanted to drain some gas out of the tank for my lawnmower. The tank is full and the car has been sitting for a year. I really don't want to run that old gas in the Daytona once I get it running. I tried to siphon it out with a hand pump but the hose wouldn't go down into the tank. After an hour of looking at the FSM I found a plug I thought I could apply 12 volts to get the fuel pump to turn on. I looked at the engine bay and found that that plug didn't exist on my 85.

I found another connector to use, though. It is the connector that goes to the fuel injectors right at the rail. Just unplug it and apply 12 volts to the black wire with the dark green stripe. Then hook the negative wire to the body somewhere.

The pump turns on and presto! the gas cometh. I don't have the battery or engine in the car right now, so cycling the fuel pump would be tricky otherwise. This worked well, so I thought I would share. It will work for an 88 as well because the FSM showed the same color wires for the fuel injector plug.

· Administrator
26,469 Posts
You are powering the feed wire from the ASD relay.
With the key on/engine off ground the DB/YL wire at the underhood diagnostic connector and you will actuate the ASD relay by controlling the ground side as the controller would do it and the pump will run.

· Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NAJ: That is the connector I was looking for! It is supposed to be near the left shock tower. I didn't see it anywhere on my 85 so I assumed it was something that only the newer (88) cars had. Thanks for the Info!

ZackT: There is no way dropping my tank is easier than hooking up 2 wires. After breaking 14 bolts in half because of rust, I know that would be 2 more broken bolts to my list. Not to mention new hangars. The gas tank looks pretty good so I'm going to leave it alone until it starts leaking, then I will replace it. I really just needed a quick way to empty the tank, anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.