Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90 daytona 2.5 turbo

not sure how this happened..just checked oil a week ago, was low but not this low..just went for a short drive, bout 15 minutes, heard loud squeaking...checked oil and it was at the bottom of the stick just after driving....:((( had to add 2.5 quarts just to

squeaking is loud, doesnt occur almost at all at idle, but starts up rapidly after idle...

im not a newbie either, so this is really embarassing. ive rebuilt this engine by hand more than once (not because of oil), so I can fix whatevers wrong..but id like to figure out what IS wrong accurately before I start doing any work...how can i figure out if its some bearing surface in the block/head?

any ideas? i've got a mechanics stethescope, and I can record the squeaking for you to hear, or to measure how often the squeaks occur to determine what they might be coming from....

ughhhhhhh

on the brighter side, i literally JUST replaced the alternator (the 15 min drive was the test drive) so I guess it could be the wrong belt tension or something, but i put my stethescope on it and i didnt hear the sound in the earphones..

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
forgot to say that adding the oil didnt making the squeaking go away...

so does running really low oil usually only cause damage that causes knocking i.e. rod knock etc..not squeaking type damage?

ill take a video tomorrow and post it

·
Banned
0 Posts
Not saying it doesn't, just don't have any personal experience of it.. I ran REALLY low and REALLY hot in a car (not a turbo dodge) and it didn't have any effect, it was only for a short while too so I'm not 100% on anything.. I do know the feeling of not knowing though.. I've had quite a few strange unexplainable things happen to me where "unknowns" noises were concerned.. had a timing issue, not because timing was off but because a latex glove was stuck in the belt (very stupid), boyfriend re-timed it 3 times before we figured it out..

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just dump some water on the belts while the engine is running. That shuts them up for a little while.
We had an automatic honda come in the shop, I checked the oil and the stick was dry. Some woman has it, and she does not beat it. It took 3 quarts of oil to bring it up to normal. It was one of those hondas that only hold like 3 and a half or 4 quarts. I figured it would be back for an engine soon after that. It's been over a year, and that darn little scooter car is still running like a top. Your engine will probably be okay if you weren't beating it. If you run up the rpms all the time in your driving style. Well it could have starved the low oil supply out.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I just dump some water on the belts while the engine is running. That shuts them up for a little while.
We had an automatic honda come in the shop, I checked the oil and the stick was dry. Some woman has it, and she does not beat it. It took 3 quarts of oil to bring it up to normal. It was one of those hondas that only hold like 3 and a half or 4 quarts. I figured it would be back for an engine soon after that. It's been over a year, and that darn little scooter car is still running like a top. Your engine will probably be okay if you weren't beating it. If you run up the rpms all the time in your driving style. Well it could have starved the low oil supply out.
LOL my honda i ran low. A honda and a lot your foreign cars will run low and be ok. ACtually the oil light will not turn on unless there is only one quart in the car. I did that once. was amazed at it. Car still runs it is the one in my Sig

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
squeeking after new alt swap ? - check long alt bolt and bushings on alt bracket

when their messed up you can get a squeek

hopin that's all it is

try rotating the bushings - see if noise changes
hmmm... i had to use a c clamp on the pressed in spacer in the new alternator because the free-floating spacer wouldnt fit...i torqued everything to 50 ft lbs, but im definitely going to take the belt off tomorrow and see if thats it..

i guess im hedging my bets..if i freak out about it being the engine then it will just be the new alternator: i end up looking dumb but the engine ends up okay..yep im crazy

i dont think its a belt...just not the right kind of sound..but we shall see tomorrow

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Hopefully it's just an alternator. You can *squeak* a bearing. Almost sounds like torque converter bolts slightly hitting a trans shield and it makes a real high pitched squeal. Happened to a 440 we had. Had to rebuild it.
We also did this to the rod. and it still ran. just squeaked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.