Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Looking to identify this SBEC and wiring loom! Not even sure if they are a pair, I only assume so. I was considering using the loom for a Power Distribution Center upgrade on my Omni build since i thought it was the proper '90 lebaron one... However, the Power box was different than I thought! Also, my searching couldn't pinpoint a year/model. The engine going in my Omni is what I though this harness was for, it's a TII with an '89 stamped on the block.

Could anyone identify the harness and SBEC? Need more information to do so?

Let me know! Thank you!

-Tucker

Attachments

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I cannot help much with the harness unless you can get a part number which is usually located near the 60 way where it connects to the main bundle. I can help with ECU as I work with them regularly as a hobby. The ECU is definitely an SBEC1 as identified by the ceramic hybrid array to the right of the 60 way connector. On the EPROM chip the letters are 837, which are the last three digits of the part number which one can search in the part listings http://www.glmwpg.com/ServiceManuals/
the outside part number is faded but appears to be 4516837?
here is a good list of many ECU from SDAC
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/knowledge/pictures/ecu/ecu_listing.pdf

The good news is you have a special 1989 Shelby CSX VNT computer. I would recommend you sell it and get the SBEC you need as it is made special for the VNT turbo IV engine.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,454 Posts
Well you have your SBEC ID, the relay box looks like one from a 90s Lebaron inside, the underhood one was longer and sat near the left strut tower. Here are some pictures of both, 552-555 are the inside relay module, 556-560 are the underhood one. These were taken off a 1995 (I believe) Lebaron convertible. DSCN2359 and 2360 are what I ended up using. It is from a 1996 Dodge Stratus, The inner section (behind the power stud) houses the ASD, starter and two fan relays, outer has places for a group of micro relays, wiper, wiper speed, fuel pump, transaxle, fog lamps and a nice set of maxi and smaller fuses. I did away with all the fusible links except the alternator.
552.jpg 553.jpg 554.jpg 555.jpg 556.jpg 557.jpg 559.jpg 560.jpg DSCN2359.jpg DSCN2360.jpg

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I'm no help as I'm a SMEC guy but notice the picture format is better.

Maybe I'll get to like the changes..... eventually!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, this car and all the random parts that came with it surprise me more and more each day!

Ok, so the computer, I have no idea how it came to be in this collection then. I definitely won't be going VNT for this Omni, so I guess I will probably end up selling that. Thanks for that link and info!

The harness, I was told came out of a '90? lebaron GTC along with the TII engine I'm putting in my Omni. I didn't see the underhood box, only the underdash (angular). Could this year have had only the underdash? I will check the harness again, and see if I can find the part number anywhere as mentioned and get back to you guys.
I would like to do the conversion with a 556-560 underhood power box!

Thanks for all the pictures and references,

-Tucker

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, update for you guys!

First, the big mystery harness. It definitely wasn't a CSX. haha. I referenced the part numbers and it turns out the harness is from a 1990 Lebaron GTC 2.2 turbo with the A-413 transmission. According to the diagrams, this year car still had the underhood fuseable links and individual relays (No relay box :(). On the other hand, it is the harness that went with the engine now in my Omni! That means it has the correct O2 and injector plugs and stuff I need. Happy day.
Part Numbers Identified from this harness:
  • 4481 786 (Engine Bay and headlights)
  • 4481 981 (Interior)
  • 5267 868 (Console, Parking Brake, Power top)
  • 5267 236 (On Engine Harness)
I also was able to identify the other 3 harnesses I have as '85 and '86 Omni Turbos.

Going forward, it looks like I will be:
  • Stripping down and repairing the harness out of my GLH (It is disgusting, burnt and corroded in places).
  • Installing the needed TII sensor plugs
  • Wiring in a Power Distribution Center (Anyone have an extra 556-560 Box? :cool:)
  • Selling the CSX SBEC
Last questions, would it be worth it to find a SMEC and fit the Lebaron harness to my L-body with the TII, since I'm already tearing down my whole harness? Or just stick with the current plan and modify the GLH TI harness. And any additional pointers on refreshing an old and crusty harness?

Thank you all!

-Tucker

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I'm sure there was no 2.2 Turbo automatic for 1990.

The only 2.2 Turbo was the T-IV (VNT) with 5 speed.

2.5 T-I was available with Automatic in 1990 Le Baron's but not the GTC.

Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Last questions, would it be worth it to find a SMEC and fit the Lebaron harness to my L-body with the TII, since I'm already tearing down my whole harness? Or just stick with the current plan and modify the GLH TI harness. And any additional pointers on refreshing an old and crusty harness?

Thank you all!

-Tucker
Personally I am switching my LM to SBEC as the TM ECU team is now focused on SBEC and SBEC2. If you are interested in electrical and/or tuning they have a number of options going forward. Yes I am one of the team members. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?36-EFI-Tuning

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am interested in tuning, only way to get the engine running its best. But also, I'm not looking to kake a ton of power. I just want reliability for the track. Would the SBEC be the best option going forward for tuning? I already planned on installing a WB O2 in this car in the downpipe, so there's one step down. ha.

Also, anyone have a wiring diagram for this '90 Lebaron 2.2 turbo?? Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many folks are tuning SBEC but SMEC is highly tested at this point. We are now focusing on SBEC and SBEC2 going forward.
Maybe I will plan for putting in the SMEC in the future. For now, I guess I'll leave the stock LM/PM to get it running as fast as possible. I have the mopar stage II computer? I'll keep an eye out for a SMEC one of these days. I also need to start reading turbo-mopar, seems to be where the tuning guys hide out ;)

Good catch finding an error in print!!

Unless maybe the Mexican or European market had a 1990 2.2 Turbo A 413 ??
Is it really an error? I mean, I doubt it was a Mexican car or Euro car. The guy I got it from said he pulled it himself from a junkyard but couldn't remember the details about the car. What other application could it be then? I know the engine is a 2.2L, I know the car was a GTC (has the wiring harness for it), maybe a different year than '90?

-Tucker

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Maserati had a 2.2 Turbo automatic in 89-90 so perhaps the harness # also fits them.

The last regular Chrysler 2.2 Turbo automatic was 1988 and they were T-I .

SMEC is a great choice as there are factory 2.2 T-I, 2.2 T-II and 2.5 T units as starting points.

I've converted a few L bodys to SMEC and prefer that system due to availability/durability.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, maybe so. Even though the PN says that this is a '90, I'm thinking it could be an '89 car... I looked up the '89 parts catalog and none of these harnesses showed, but looking at the diagrams for the '89 (alldata login at work ;)) they seem to match my harness.

I think I will look to repair my '86 harness with the LM/PM to get the car running and keep this harness to go SMEC in the future. Anyone know of a good L-body TII SMEC conversion write up? :)

Thanks again!

-Tucker

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I've converted a few L bodys to SMEC and prefer that system due to availability/durability.

Thanks
Randy
This is why I am converting my LM/PM to SBEC as we speak. People are starting to report LM problems, I noticed that my LM traces are starting to get quite wavey due to delamination of the copper traces from the PCB board. I have noticed the PCBs of the SMEC and SBEC are much higher quality than the LM.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
. Anyone know of a good L-body TII SMEC conversion write up? :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chromguy, thank you for all of your help. One last thing. I came across a SBEC out of a V6 lebaron. Is this at all usable for my application? Or totally different inside.
PN: 4686284

Thanks!

-Tucker

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
One last thing. I came across a SBEC out of a V6 lebaron. Is this at all usable for my application? Or totally different inside.
PN: 4686284
My pleasure to help, WRT the SBEC I don't see a listing for this part number in my files but ebay shows it as a 92 Lebaron which is a SBEC2 rather than an SBEC. Yes they are quite different.
Here is a link to my research on the SBECs..http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?84969-How-to-identify-an-SBEC-vs-SBEC2-377-vs-SBEC2-652&p=1150602&viewfull=1#post1150602
The bottom line is is not usable as is, the injector driver MOSFET are totally different. Our Turbos use low impedance injector with a "peak and hold" driver while the V6 uses a high impedance "saturation" drivers. I am currently researching how to use V6 SBEC for our L4 Turbos. My work is very promising but not complete quite yethttp://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?83129-SBEC-SMEC-Engine-Simulator-my-winter-project&p=1141288&viewfull=1#post1141288

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll take a look into your post! Great work. If you would like this comp, let me know. I don't know if anyone else would want it then. haha. I just pulled it cause I was there. Just in case.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts