Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I use my brakes I get a shimmy in the car. It seems the faster I am going the worse it is. It is kind of like a pulse feeling. Hard to explain. Any one have any idea?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yup

Sounds like the classic symptoms of warped rotors.

Replace the rotors and pads, you should be OK.

Personally, I don't recommend turning rotors, it's never worked out for me as a long term solution.

bc

·
Registered
948 Posts
yup, sounds like warped rotors. I agree with "thatsbc", turning rotors i dont like either, might as well get new ones, on the front anyway. If you have rear discs, then they are not considered throw away like the front, they can be turned. Just check the price of front vs. rear! Its double!
-mark

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have the 4 wheel vented disk shelby brakes. I was afraid it was in the brakes. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
948 Posts
its no big deal. Easy to do. Not very expensive either.
-mark

·
Registered
267 Posts
Most of the braking force is in the front. The reason the rears are so expensive is that so few people need to buy them as the fronts get trashed easily.

Replace the fronts, inspect the rears, bleed the brakes, bed the new pads properly. When installing, make sure the mating surfaces are flat and clean, this includes the face of the hub, the back side of the wheel. Also make sure teh calipers can slide freely on their rails. Finally when installing the wheels, torque them properly in a criss-cross pattern to 125ft-lbs and retorque them after bedding the pads. Always roll the car a little every few minutes after heavily using the brakes and the intense heat from the brake pads can be concentrated in one spot contributing to rotor warpage.

Good luck,
Stefan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts