Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I;d like to install Iridium plugs in my '89 Omni 2.2 135 non-turbo.
I've heard there may be problems.
What problems?

·
Administrator
24,767 Posts
Let me explain the differences in spark plug tip materials.

1)All spark plugs use a Copper Core.
2)On a direct ignition system with the coil being + and the spark plug being negative it is only the center electrode that will wear so only a single tipped platinum or iridium plug is required.
3)Copper is the best material used in spark plugs for conducting electricity so technically a copper tipped plug would be best for overall performance, however...
4)Copper is a soft material and wears quickly, as the electrode wears the gap widens and the load on the ignition system increases which can create/cause driveabilty/emissions/fuel economy issues, enter platinum and iridium.
5)Both platinum and iridium are very hard materials that virtually eliminate electrode wear, this is important on newer OBD2 vehicles for emissions and fuel economy and keeping Uncle Sam happy.
6)Neither platinum or iridium conduct electricity as well as copper, iridium conducts better than platinum.
7)I have been using single tipped platinum Autolite and Champion plugs in my Daytona since 1992, only because they do not wear, I have never experienced an ignition issue/misfire (related to secondary ignition) in 30 years, even racing and hitting the traps at 6200 RPM's in 3rd gear @ 12 lbs of boost.
8)The only time a precious metal tipped plug should need to be replaced is if something happens and they become fouled.
When I did the timing belt on my Daughters 2005 Saturn Vue the OE Denso plugs had virtually no wear to the electrodes with 100,000 miles on them, if they were still white instead of tan they would have looked brand new.
9)The only time a double tipped platinum or iridium plug is needed is on a "Wastespark" ignition system where 1/2 of the cylinders are + firing (coil to plug, center electrode wears) and 1/2 of the cylinders are - firing (plug to coil, outer electrode wears).
10)Changing to a platinum or iridium tipped plug will not increase performance, only worn spark plugs may decrease performance.

Enjoy Your New Iridium Plugs!!!

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
have been using single tipped platinum Autolite and Champion plugs in my Daytona since 1992, only because they do not wear, I have never experienced an ignition issue/misfire (related to secondary ignition) in 30 years, even racing and hitting the traps at 6200 RPM's in 3rd gear @ 12 lbs of boost.
My experience is nearly identical, I switch to NGK platinum in 1988. After 150K miles, just like NAJ, mine look nearly new as far as wear is concerned. Just like synthetic oil, many told me I was stupid for using them for a least 10 years or more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts