Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my trip from Florida to Nevada my 1986 GLHS lost some vacuum in Kansas. It is reading around 17-15 hg. I have checked all vacuum lines numerous times. Installed a new boost gauge just in case. Checked compression, good. Checked the pressure from right at the intake manifold with the same results. The car runs good. Just idles a little high on start up, but then goes back to normal. High speed runs feel good. No bad readings from any other gauges (AF, TGT). Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spark timing is good. I'll check cam timing and let you know. Is that something that would cause the vacuum loss?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Spark timing is good. I'll check cam timing and let you know. Is that something that would cause the vacuum loss?
yes sir!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well cam timing looks good. Any other ideas? Would a turbo going out cause this problem? Do you guys think this is something i should be overly worried about since it still seems to run fine? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, just did the cam timing and spark timing just in case. Still reading 16-15 hg on vac. Checked all vacuum lines again, still can't find a leak. Seems to run fine though. Idle sounds good. When you let off the throttle it will stay at 19 hg for a little bit and then it kind of jumps to 16 hg. Still stumped. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well sprayed starter fluid all over engine. Engine did not rev up at all. After tearing apart IC tubes, I forgot to put my cone filter back on. I covered the inlet, and found a leak in the IC lines after the turbo. Tore the IC tubing off again to find that a screw on the turbo itself had disappeared. It was a screw on the driver side of the outlet of the charging side. I replaced it, but still have a vac leak. I also found an vacuum line to the hvac controls off. Fixed that and still seem to have a leak. I also checked compression again just in case and it still looks good. Any other ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so I'm still troubleshooting this problem. Today I plugged the intake to the throttle body and used compressor to put pressure into the system. And as it turns out it does have a slow leak somewhere. My question is, should I be hearing air escaping when I open the oil fill cap? This is the only place that I can find air escaping. Does this mean my valves are going bad? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts