Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have personally owned TD's for 23yrs now (learned to drive in 84 in a conv turbo 600), so not a young newbie by any stretch. My interest and involvement have varied over the years, more involved at times than others, but always at least on the periphery.

With Shelby's passing a few years ago, I thought the value of the "S" cars would finally rise given interest from others outside the TD community. This still doesn't seem to have happened, in fact it seems they are decreasing relative to other TDs; Shelby Zs and most certainly Shelby Chargers appear to be rising in value, but not the "S" cars. This has never made sense to me that a limited production, pedigreed car was valued so poorly.

I guess my question, if this is even a question and not just an observation, is are others seeing this as I am, and if so, what is the reason?

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
It's all relative and based on condition. The 'S' cars are indeed going up in value and are becoming much more highly prized by collectors. The fact are though, that a car that is in pieces or needing quite a bit of TLC just doesn't bring near the cash that one that is all original, has low miles, is in good running condition, is unmolested, doesn't need tires, has working AC, still has an excellent interior, and has a good paint job on it. Those cars are just getting darn hard to find and when you do, they are commanding a premium price.

I have been buying and selling 'S' cars for several years. About 3 years ago, I could buy great S Chargers for $3K maybe $4K for extra nice ones...they are more like $5K-$7K now. The GLHS Omni, 3 years ago was a $4K-$5K car in great shape...now they are starting to trade upwards of $7K-$10K and more. The owners are also playing with values by demanding higher sale prices and if not sold, just keeping them. So, as a result it is getting harder and harder to buy the really nice GLHS Omnis for under $10K...and the Charges are not far behind these days. I have seem the asking prices for these cars, very much like the ones I own practically double in the last three years.

So at least for me, they seem to be going in the right direction. Frankly if I had a truck, a tow dolly, several thousand dollars I would go buy 2-3 'S' cars that I know are for sale for $1500 or less, but they are in pieces and I would have to put them back together myself AND get good paint jobs for them and if I was lucky I might break even or make a few thousand apiece if I did not count the value of my time.

I have two that I have just spent the last year putting back together and getting nice and I have saved and documented every $$ spent on them and I plan to start a post pretty soon that shows or at least illustrates what it commonly costs just in parts to put one back together. It is not cheap even when you do the work yourself. RockAuto helps a lot, but paint and body these days is insanely expensive for a good quality job, again even if you do a lot of the work yourself. If you think a good paint job will cost you maybe $2K at the local body shop...think again, its' more like $3-5K now for a GOOD job and it will typically take 2-4 weeks or more of prep and shine.

The devil is in the details and the high price cars have had a lot of attention paid to them, they were either well cared for all their lives, or have been painstakingly restored to factory like conditions. Any go-fast modifications at all just lower the value.

Collectors want un-molested, as close to original, low mile, ready to drive cars.

Just my $.02 worth and opinions vary widely on the subject.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I think the reason the regular Shelby Charger is going up at a faster rate, is that the general public still isn't aware of the S cars.
Or at least not so aware.
Years ago no one knew what I was driving when I'd be in #956.
Then, last summer at a car show I entered, both young and old people recognized it.
So I think in time, it's going to appreciate at a faster pace.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Hey Dr. Johny:

Your comment about people thinking their project with rust holes are worth money reminded me of a sale on eBay.
A while ago someone sold a rusted out shell of an 87 GLHS for over $1,500.
I'm talking nothing left of it.
All rusted and no useable parts to speak of.
I can't understand it.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,143 Posts
I fell into my '87 GLHS by pure coincidence. I was the first guy to text the owner about it. He decided he liked me. Saturday, two days after he had put up the ad I gave him his asking price of $750, and hauled the non-running car home. The story was, it overheated and he drove straight home and parked it. He basically removed everything from the engine but the head, intake/exhaust. He thought the headgasket was blown. Over about three months I re-assembled the engine, figuring out vacuum, wiring, intake piping. I put in a new fuel tank and pump, and changed all the rubber lines. When I went to re-install the aftermarket radiator fan he had installed, I had a thought. I made note of the wiring for the fan. He had nipped the wires next to his own butt crimp connections, leaving enough for me to see the way he had the fan wired. The first time I drove the car with it wired that same way I noticed it getting hot. I reached in and felt the air flow. Sure enough, he was fighting incoming air with the radiator fan. After switching the polarity, the car stays cool as a cucumber. I have left it idling outside in 80 degree temps for nearly an hour with no problems. I can't wait to get out this spring after I get a power steering hose and some new tires. I'd like to think that at least for a little while, the prices of our cars will stay low to continue to promote awareness and enthusiasm for the TD hobby for more young prospective car owners, before it becomes like everything else. (cars and parts are unavailable to the average guy due to high prices)

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
"in the 90's parts were ripe for the picking here as the yards were stuffed with 80's cars"

Yes...and last year the yards here in Georgia always had a number of Daytonas, a few Omni/Horizons and Lebarons. Not many T2 cars but T1s were pretty common. Right now...not a single Daytona, Omni, Horizon or Lebaron. That is over about 5 yards. There is 1 Daytona in Birmingham. Gettin hard to find cheap parts now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A few of my thoughts in no particular order:

A craptastic 1980 turbo Trans Am just sold for $100K at Barrett Jackson. I think we're about 5-8 years away from seeing our cars peak in value.

Values of '87 S cars has approximately doubled since I bought mine about seven years ago.

I think DSCs, Turbo Zs, Shelby Zs, etc... are seeing faster gains in value as the Whittier cars were always considered somewhat "collectible", as compared to all Shelby Dodges, which are now on the cusp of being collectible.

The junk yard supply of cheap parts has dried up. This will in turn drive up the prices of complete cars- either as clean surviving examples, or as parts cars in order to keep better examples on the road. Hopefully interest in turbo Dodges is strong enough to attract aftermarket suppliers, otherwise attrition will take it's toll.

·
Registered
705 Posts
As time passes these cars will gain in value. Back in the early 80's I scrapped many muscle cars because no one wanted them. I also made a round track car out of a solid body Challenger. Someone gave me a Javilin AMX complete car and I scraped it.

As generations move on and time passes these cars will become more valuable because every one likes to relate to cars they know and grew up with.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
"As generations move on and time passes these cars will become more valuable because every one likes to relate to cars they know and grew up with."

I have a friend that has been collecting cars his entire life, he is about 70 now. He has a Stanley steamer, several Ford Model As, An Edsel, and quite a few others. About twenty years ago his collection was worth about $2 million. Today it is worth less than $1 million. The reason: most the people that remember these cars, that have an affinity to them from their childhood memories are now DEAD! The museums use to beg him to sell them one of his cars, now all they want is NASCAR! They will pay a fortune for the wrecked hood from Dale Earnheart's car than they will for a complete Stanley steamer in perfect running condition.

Though it may be decades off, one day, the turbo Shelby Dodge will take the same path. Everybody that remembers them will be DEAD! LOL

All that being said the cars I have owned and wished I had kept include a 66 convertible Corvette, a 1961 MGA twin Cam, a Sunbeam (not a Tiger) and an Austin Healey 3000 BJ8. If I had these cars today I would be sitting on about a quarter of a million. And as suggested above, I also feel in 5-10 years more I am totally going to regret selling my 86 TurboZ CS, the 87 GLHS, and the 89 CSX.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I fell into my '87 GLHS by pure coincidence. I was the first guy to text the owner about it. He decided he liked me. Saturday, two days after he had put up the ad I gave him his asking price of $750, and hauled the non-running car home. The story was, it overheated and he drove straight home and parked it. He basically removed everything from the engine but the head, intake/exhaust. He thought the headgasket was blown. Over about three months I re-assembled the engine, figuring out vacuum, wiring, intake piping. I put in a new fuel tank and pump, and changed all the rubber lines. When I went to re-install the aftermarket radiator fan he had installed, I had a thought. I made note of the wiring for the fan. He had nipped the wires next to his own butt crimp connections, leaving enough for me to see the way he had the fan wired. The first time I drove the car with it wired that same way I noticed it getting hot. I reached in and felt the air flow. Sure enough, he was fighting incoming air with the radiator fan. After switching the polarity, the car stays cool as a cucumber. I have left it idling outside in 80 degree temps for nearly an hour with no problems. I can't wait to get out this spring after I get a power steering hose and some new tires. I'd like to think that at least for a little while, the prices of our cars will stay low to continue to promote awareness and enthusiasm for the TD hobby for more young prospective car owners, before it becomes like everything else. (cars and parts are unavailable to the average guy due to high prices)
Man, talk about luck!!
That's one hell of a happy ending.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,143 Posts
The longer I have it the more I find rust, but what do I want for $750??? I now have about $200 in fuel system parts, and a new power steering hose...$30? Tires will probably be the most expensive thing unless I trip over some decent ones at the used tire place.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
The longer I have it the more I find rust, but what do I want for $750??? I now have about $200 in fuel system parts, and a new power steering hose...$30? Tires will probably be the most expensive thing unless I trip over some decent ones at the used tire place.
How's the interior?

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,143 Posts
Needs new carpet, but I might not have the carpet in her anymore anyway. The seats need to be shampooed or steamed and they aren't that great. A previous owner was a smoker. Love those cig burns... Door panels are just ok. I still need to fix the driver's inner handle/latch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Extremely disappointed not as much at the values but in interest. Just listed mine for sale with what I feel is a fair price looking at others that have been for sale, clearly stating I am open to offers and I am not even getting a low ball. I fear what I have seen done by a lot of people in parting out and crushing is going to be on the rise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree, I never had one, but my friend from DSRLeasing was driving one for a bit - he sold it later and switched to something else. Didn't like it too much from what he told me.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,143 Posts
Some people don't wan't to deal with what can sometimes be a pretty extreme project bringing these cars back from being mistreated with no proper maintenance, or just being driven by someone who has absolutely no clue. I have cars that had been overboosted running regular fuel. I guess I was lucky to find Turbododge forum and read for several months before I ever got my first turbo Dodge running.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I was fortunate to own two 87S cars that were never modified other than adding the Mopar Performance computer.
That makes a big difference when maintaining them.
I can understand why some would shy away from buying a modified one if they’ve never owned one before.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts