Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. The shelby I just got is smoking. Once I start it, it takes about 1min and it will start puffing smoke. If I start to drive, its still there some while the oil is cold and thick. Once it warms some, I can keep it from smoking by keeping the motor reved up about 1500. Otherwise, if I decel with the motor, or sit at a stop light at idle for more than 10 sec, it starts to puff. It wont do it under accel or just crusing. I am thinking its the valve guides and when its not in as much vac, it wont pull the oil though the guide and into the combustion chamber.
What do you guys think? HELP :D
The motor is completly rebuilt. And the head had the valve seals done, but not the guides which is why I suspect them and not the turbo.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think the turbo is the culprit. Can you maybe drop the downpipe or remove the downpipe housing and check for shaft play? Another thing you could try is feeding the turbo with low pressurized oil in the oil feed line (with an external pump) while keeping the engine off. Then check the turbine wheel for fresh oil drippings.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the turbo was totally solid when the car was put together, and looked recently rebuilt is why I am thinking its the guide. But, I will check into that. Thanks for the input

More thoughts?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did notice this morning on the way home. It does smoke pretty much all the time, it just gets less noticable when it gets warm. But once I get out of the car I can smell it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My car does this on an 87 Z T2 and I am pretty sure I have a smoked piston in cyl #4 as my compression reading only read 85 psi on that cyl. And the turbo blows tons of oil but the turbo only blows oil into the intake side not the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car does this on an 87 Z T2 and I am pretty sure I have a smoked piston in cyl #4 as my compression reading only read 85 psi on that cyl. And the turbo blows tons of oil but the turbo only blows oil into the intake side not the exhaust.
That better not be the case for me. This is a brand new motor. :bang head Of course, the RT has a dead clutch, and now this. lol I love my TDs. :indiffere

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I would agree with "gutfeeling". Gutfeelings are usually correct anyways :D This is exactly what my r/t did before the turbo completely went south. A valve guide, in my experience, use goes slow, leakings under heavy load and then getting progressively worse over a long time. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems to be good. All the lines are new and correctly hooked up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
are any of the plugs showing any oil fouling .
are you able to unbolt the turbo flange and slide back the turbo anough to see if the exhaust manifold is oil soaked

·
Banned
3 Posts
my gutfeeling is valve seals, they smoke more at idle, if its the turbo it would smoke more when boosting.
i have only had one turbo go bad, it was on the shelf for years, i threw it on and 24 hours later it was smoking the whole block out, checked the shaft play again and it was scraping the housing.
is it for sure coming out of the exhaust pipe or could it be blowing under the body from the engine bay (oil leak)?

i still think its bad valve seals like my 92 blazer had, smoked bad at idle and seemed to dissapear out of the side mirror when i was driving.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mine is smoking somthing fierce. The seals are new, the valve guides are not. It smokes pretty much all the time now. Bad enough I wont drive it. I am pulling the head on sunday. Thanks for the input. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And the winner is....
The turbo.
Its fubared. :D
But, got a replacement, a 2.5" swingvalve, and a 3" downpipe for it in the process. :thumb: score!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts