Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
GrandpaSleeper,

I'm not selling mine, but may I ask if you're planning to use this to replace valve seals? The reason I ask is because I think this tool is OK for removing followers (rockers), but it's not all that great for valve seal work--particularly because of a lack of space to carefully install the locks (removing with a magnet is easy though...). The first time I used this tool (1986 2.5L N/A) I actually had to remove the throttle body to get enough "swing" to compress the springs on #2 and #3 cylinders. Not a huge deal, but time-consuming nonetheless.

When I do valve seals I just remove the cam and use a run-of-the-mill OHV spring compressor. Lots of room, and lots easier for me. It also gives me a chance to replace front & rear cam seals.

My opinion only. I just don't think this tool is all it's cracked up to be. Different story with the head off the car...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GrandpaSleeper,

I'm not selling mine, but may I ask if you're planning to use this to replace valve seals? The reason I ask is because I think this tool is OK for removing followers (rockers), but it's not all that great for valve seal work--particularly because of a lack of space to carefully install the locks (removing with a magnet is easy though...). The first time I used this tool (1986 2.5L N/A) I actually had to remove the throttle body to get enough "swing" to compress the springs on #2 and #3 cylinders. Not a huge deal, but time-consuming nonetheless.

When I do valve seals I just remove the cam and use a run-of-the-mill OHV spring compressor. Lots of room, and lots easier for me. It also gives me a chance to replace front & rear cam seals.

My opinion only. I just don't think this tool is all it's cracked up to be. Different story with the head off the car...
Oh damn thanks for the info!

Yes... my valve seals are leaky. After a 30+ minute drive, if I pull up at a long red light, when I pull away the poor person next to me gets a BLAST of oil smoke in their passenger window. It is obnoxious with my side exhaust... feels bad when a person with their window down gets smoked out.

Ah jeez... what tools should I get to do this job? I've never taken a camshaft out of a 2.2 / 2.5 before, I'm nervous, ahhh!!!

Really don't want to pull the head. The car runs awesome, it just has a damn leaky valve seal.

Thanks again for the info, really helps!

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's actually very easy to pull. I always start by setting TDC. Next step one is to pull the plastic cam gear cover off the valve cover. Then mark the timing belt-to-cam gear relationship (I've zip-tied it onto the gear, too). Slip the cam gear off the cam and bungee it off to the side. If you keep the belt on the gear correctly you won't disturb anything, as the gear is keyed on the cam and only goes on one way. Pull the cam cap bolts (carefully). Just have to keep the tower caps (5) and bolts (10) in the correct positions and orientations. Lift the cam out and set it aside. You now have tons of room for a standard valve spring compressor. Best method by far is to pump 100+ psi into each cylinder to hold the valve(s) up once the keepers are removed. Taken step-by-step it's actually quite simple. This method will require:

• Cam seals, F&R (some engines use a plug instead of a rear seal), FWIW Rock Auto's closeout section has tons of these seals for what seems like pennies on the dollar. I usually keep several in stock.
  • Engine assembly lube for the cam journals & lobes, rockers, lifter tips, etc. Everything needs to be lubed up!
  • Anaerobic sealer (like Loctite 515 I think) for cam caps 1 and 5. Need a small bead of this stuff where these caps mate to the head. I also put a very thin coat of this gunk on the edges of the new cam seals.
  • Service manual pages for the cam cam torque specs (I don't remember them off the top of my head)
  • A telescoping magnet tool is nice for removing keepers. I'm always able to put them back by hand, though.
  • And of course you'll need a compressor with a spark plug hole adapter to maintain air pressure. I don't do the "rope trick" myself...

One you do it this way you'll never go back! My $0.02 anyways...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's actually very easy to pull.

One you do it this way you'll never go back! My $0.02 anyways...
Holy crap dude... with this guide, I might actually feel confident to do it myself!

Thanks sooooo much for taking the time to write that.

Which valve seals to use though... hmmm?!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just use the OE-style seals...which leads me to a funny Rock Auto story. About two months ago I was rummaging through their closeout section and came across these for 37 cents each:

I ordered eight for my Daytona, as I'd be doing those soon. A few days later I got my order and only received a single seal. I sent them a message through the website, explaining that they owed me seven more seals. A few days after that I received seven complete sets of eight!

I called them and explained the overage. The guy told me they weren't worth the company paying postage to return them. "Keep 'em," he said. Now I'm set for a while...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received seven complete sets of eight!

I called them and explained the overage. The guy told me they weren't worth the company paying postage to return them. "Keep 'em," he said. Now I'm set for a while...
Hahaha, nice!!! Rock Auto has been sooooo good. I was so choked when I lost all of my fridge magnets I had collected!

Yeah, I never had valve seals leak before on any of my turbo or non-turbo 2.2s or 2.5s. I owned several Rampages and I beat the living hell out of them constantly, I floored it everywhere, peeled out around corners in the 3 speed automatic, moved tons of heavy stuff in my 5 speed turbo minivan...

My car right now is such a sweet driver and has such a nice exhaust, I'm surprised for how many compliments it gets. The mother of my 1st born doesn't believe me when I told her that I came out of the liquor store and a teenage girl was posing in front of the grill for a photo, haha.

It is, however, a bit embarrassing when I'm sitting at a light with the top down and some jerk off in a new BMW pulls up next to me and sees my ol' 2.5 smokin' away like I'm burning some hot dogs over a campfire! If I drive it a few miles to the park, walk around for an hour, drive it a few miles home, the car just barely starts to smoke by the time I'm home.

If I drive it to the city, 20+ miles away, park, do business for an hour or two, then drive back... the entire drive home is basically stop-and-go, and I totally smoke out poor people next to me! God... I prayed for forgiveness after I was stuck at a light for like 4-5 cycles... I had to be in the right lane to turn... this lady pulls up on my driver's (exhaust) side and she puts the window down to have a smoke. My light turns green and I pull away and just BLAST her in the face with a huuuuugggeeee cloud of blue smoke. It filled their car! Damn... oh man I felt sooooo shitty!

Damn there are so many different seal types... AND I don't know if I have any + sized valve parts, I texted the guy who built the motor but he hasn't got back to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Not sure what you have for an intake, but with the 2 piece intakes, you may have to modify the tool a bit to clear the upper plenum. If you find you have some valve seals that are no longer connected to your guides, your exhaust guides may have dropped. This will be apparent when they sit lower than the others. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Still could be hot side of turbine coked up too. First things first, change those seals out.
I use both the stock umbrella seals and Chevy LS seals. These would be the correct seals should you want to choose the positive locking style.
LS1 LS6 Viton Valve Seals .313 X .500 SMALL BLOCK GM SBC - Set of 16 - NEW | eBay

·
Administrator
25,297 Posts
I am surprised you found that valve spring compressor anywhere, it has been discontinued for a number of years.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am surprised you found that valve spring compressor anywhere, it has been discontinued for a number of years.
Indeed. I have the K-D 2400; however, the PRC-built knock-offs are now on Amazon (now not available until June...)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
223 Posts
Some poor schmuck next to me got blasted in the face with a giant blue cloud. UGH!!!! Feels bad man!
Hopefully next time it is some one who is road rageing at you and pulls up along side to shout at you for something you didn’t do and he will get blasted in the face.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,397 Posts
A guy passed him in the center lane then got stopped by a light. Tom pulled up and waved and smiled. The guy went berserk. Screaming and flipping him off.:LOL: Just high strung I guess.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A guy passed him in the center lane then got stopped by a light. Tom pulled up and waved and smiled. The guy went berserk. Screaming and flipping him off.:LOL: Just high strung I guess.
Hahahaha... I swear my car lets out a puff of smoke at every 3rd or 4th light if I'm in stop-and-go traffic... it's unpredictable... but if a TESLA is behind me or beside me, it ALWAYS lets out a GIANT puff of smoke... without fail... hahahaha...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts