Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandpa's 1986 LeBaron Turbo has been a long project and now has serious new problems...

By soaking it's stubborn bottom end in Auto Tranny Fluid and giving it some light knocks from the top of the pistons with a wood block we have gotten it to rotate. However it turns slowly and stubbornly; it has become clear that if it is to spin properly again I'll need to drop the crank and pull all the pistons out.

Therefore, it may be a better solution to simply acquire a very stripped-down short-block.

So I'm looking to potentially buy one if it's value can outweigh the cons of fixing my current one.

I need to be clear here: I need nothing on the short-block. Just the the cylinder block, crankshaft, rods, pistons and hopefully an intermediate shaft. All rings and bearings would need to be good enough to handle duty at 14 intercooled PSI for 40K miles or so; as the point of this venture is to not rebuild a bottom end any time soon. I DO NOT NEED: waterpump, oil pan, alternator, cam-drive sprockets, etc. Anything I can salvage off of a complete but almost-seized 1986 Turbo I engine will be used.

I have a really nice TII conversion top end and new turbo. Intercooler, FWD performance computer, 52mm TB, completely replaced fuel system, the lot. They're just waiting to go to work and I had hoped they would be by now!

A later TII forged bottom end would be preferable as long as it will mate up with my A413 automatic transaxle, which given that it stayed in production till '94 I suspect that it will.

Offers for other weird/miscellaneous bottom end situations will be considered. I understand if you have a more complete one and would rather get rid of the whole thing for a fair price rather than strip it down. Larger/bulkier abandoned engines, stripped front clips, half-finished parts cars; or even a stripped bottom end as desired would merit a fairly long trip on my part. Situations which involve an attached 5 speed manual of some flavor will seriously interest me. I've been promised a lent van and so I'm willing to cover considerable distance to come and grab something if it would make your life easier and my parts/price availability better. I'm located In Terre Haute IN, which is right on the Illinois boarder an hour away from Indy.

This simple "broken head-gasket fix" has morphed into a monstrous TII conversion/engine restoration project that is now in need of some serious bottom-end work. Original goals in terms of time and money spent on this project have long past been exceeded. I've been stretching the envelope for some time and this one very well may break my progress. Needless to say I could use semi-charitable offers, but I suppose everyone could these days.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would just rebuild what you have for now, cost probably $500. Then get a TII bottom end to build up for later if you plan to up the boost. If you never plan to push more than 14 psi, the the TI will hold up just fine IMO.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would just rebuild what you have for now, cost probably $500. Then get a TII bottom end to build up for later if you plan to up the boost. If you never plan to push more than 14 psi, the the TI will hold up just fine IMO.
Cost $500!?!? Haha, what parts of what I need to do to my current block will add up to that much money?

The way I see it, I can drop the crank, pound out the unruly piston and even if I replaced ALL of the rings($80), rod bearings($25) and main bearings ($35), followed by honing out the bores (free, got a friend with a fancy carbon bore hone) I would only be around 1/4 of your $500 number. I was just looking to see if anyone had something suitable laying around. A short-block swap would be more work, but it could mean forged internals. Plus I do not yet know if I've managed to bend a rod with some sort of odd hydraulic/vapor lock up. If so this many be the way to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts