Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the ole Hoopty out to the local drag strip and laid some numbers down.. I was on 7 psi, 91 octane.

Here are the videos.. The first one has my best numbers other than the MPH the second run has my 121..

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
nice! very good production quality. what camera do you use?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what camera was used, it was a friend of mine, I know it' s a sony, I just don't know exactly which one it is

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
looks great. Which posi are you running?

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
7 psi, I find that hard to believe
an empty pop can, big GT turbo with long tube header, built big plenum intake, high flow intercooler. Basically a very built flowing 16v engine with a built light weight car for drag racing. He has posted 10 PSI in other threads running 11.80. That is believable, I don't know about 7 either lol. But the car should make a lot of power at 10 PSI and the weight is down there.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
ive seen a bunch of omni's with 300-350 hp running well into the 11's usually with an 8 valve and high boost though, they are very light or can be made very light when put on a diet

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
ive seen a bunch of omni's with 300-350 hp running well into the 11's usually with an 8 valve and high boost though, they are very light or can be made very light when put on a diet
I got my workers Horizon into the 13s with with the stock 87 long block lol. AKA the "trash can".

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I still dont think so on the 7 psi, also any person on this earth after running that time on 7 pounds would instantly turn it up to like 15 and make another pass and brang about the second pass

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still dont think so on the 7 psi, also any person on this earth after running that time on 7 pounds would instantly turn it up to like 15 and make another pass and brang about the second pass
Clearly, you and I approach things differently. I don't like to just simply CRANK the boost to the sky and hope for the best. I shoot for efficiency. The reason behind the lower boost/quicker et/faster mph is I tuned some fuel out of the fuel table and was actually able to hold some boost on the starting line without pushing through the lights.

Last year when I ran the 11.8 I was only be able to hold 2-3 psi on the stall then it would push the brakes and I would have to launch soft, ie 1.9 60's. on these passes I was getting 1.70's holding 6-7 psi on the stall I was opening the wastegates on the stall on the last run (when I got a crappy burnout and spun like crazy.

I think a lot of TD guys have a huge misconception about power vs volumetric efficiency vs weight vs a/f's I mean there is a LOT more to drag racing than just cranking the boost and HOPING the power comes up whether or not your turbo is capable of making efficient power at any given boost pressure levels. My car is balanced as such that I can take a jack right under the rear of the front a arms and bring the front of the car up about 1.5 inches and the the rear starts to lift. I once took the car to a "burnout contest" because a friend of mine talked me into it. I couldn't get it to hold back, it was designed with acceleration in mind, not burning out, nothing but GO! lol

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, believe what you want, just because it seems impossible to you, doesn't mean it's not possible. Just takes ambition and a will to learn from mistakes/practice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts