Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Shelby CSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don’t have a scanner in my tools to test it. It builds full boost, just at 5,500rpm inatead of down lower. If the car is running and I plug the solenoid in, I can hear it activate but not sure what percentage it is. The CEL comes on immediately so it makes sense if the short is in the computer. But the wiring is all checking out in that solenoid 3 circuit.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
I have never watched my boost gauge when accelerating or racing so I only know what Chrysler stated about the boost rate of the VNT.
If this is your only car or is a car you only drive in summer I would not send that controller out for repair at this time.

·
Registered
1989 Shelby CSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For less than $200, I think it’s worth a shot. If they can’t fix the issue, then no charge and I’ll run it or find a used VNT computer at some point. I’ve put in about 60hrs on the exterior and just want to get it running without a CEL and as it should. Definitely not an everyday driver lol.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Very Nice.
Was just checking since my car has been my only car and daily driver since 1997 and still is.

·
Registered
1989 Shelby CSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Some interesting updates. FWD Performance did have a SBEC so I received my stage 2 computer today. Installed it and same Code 36. Got the better Fluke meter and rechecked everything again. All wires are open as they should be, 12.5V to solenoid, and 1.6 ohm in the wire to the 60-pin connector. Key on with the VNT3 solenoid hooked up and SBEC connector 36 showed no voltage with my other meter lead on the Pos. post of the battery.

Tried the Neg. post and bam 12.5V. I thought the SBEC controlled the negative sides of the circuit? I checked the two solenoids I have and they are open and 30ohm so this makes no sense why theres positive power going back to my SBEC. If I unplug the solenoid connector, the voltage at pin 36 goes away. Wiggled the two wires at the back of the solenoid connector and the voltage dropped to 1V...ah ha! It appears the connector is shorted internally and that is where the code 36 is coming from. I cut the connector off and now need to find a replacement.

any ideas on a replacement wastegate/VNT solenoid connector?

·
Registered
1989 Shelby CSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That connctor site is great! Matching the plug I cut off it matches up to a 05013951AA. Am I correct in my assumption that there should not be 12V going back to the SBEC?

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
The Solenoid has two wires...
1)The DB/WT wire is a Power Feed from the Ignition Switch through Fuse #16 and Supplies Power to All of the Solenoids, Cooling Fan Relay, Alternator Field Circuit and the Diagnostic Connector.
2)The SBEC Controls the Ground Side of VNT Solenoid #3 on the LG/BK wire at Cavity #36 of the SBEC.

There should be no voltage on the ground circuit, when the Solenoid is actuated current will flow through the wingdings of the solenoid to ground, completing the circuit.
If there is voltage present on the ground side that would indicate there is a short in the load device or the ground circuit is shorted to voltage, either way, damage to the wiring or controller would occur.

When checking voltage you connect your meter/test lamp to the - battery and probe the power source, if the lamp illuminates or the meter reads voltage the circuit has power, you supplied the ground.
When checking a ground circuit you connect to the + battery and probe the ground circuit, if the lamp illuminates you have ground, you supplied the power that completed the circuit.

If you want to know if the Solenoid is being actuated backprobe the connector with a 12 volt test lamp or voltmeter, when the ground is completed (solenoid actuated) the test lamp will illuminate or the meter will read voltage.

Wastegate Solenoid 2.jpg

·
Registered
1989 Shelby CSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Definitely was getting +12.5V on the ground wire going to pin 36 on the SBEC. Ordered a 05013950AA001 connector kit from the Dodge dealer and it was the exact plug I needed for the original VNT solenoid (the new solenoid will accept any plug type as they just made it oval inside with no cut outs). Now have no voltage on the ground wire to pin 36 when compared to the negative of the battery.

Runs great, builds boost but still have a code 36. Thinking maybe the +12V fried that circuit on the SBEC. May try another computer and see what it shows.

3273667F-60D9-4B16-81B1-546BAE6AEA49.jpeg

·
Registered
1989 Shelby CSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I do and it’s showing the same code. I have another VNT SBEC I got from a forum member on its way so I can see if that circuit is shorted internally in both SBECs I have.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
I highly doubt you have two SBEC's with the identical issue.

You need to connect a vacuum gauge to the output and use a handheld vacuum pump on the vacuum source while manually actuating the Solenoid from the SBEC connector.
This will tell you if the wiring and solenoid are operating properly.

Having access to a scanner makes this much easier.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts