Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a mechanical question for you guys:

When I use things that have a voltage draw on the car's electrical system (for example, turning on the heater) the RPMs shoot up to 2000-2500. I can't put my finger on that one. The moment I turn those things off the RPMs back down to their normal range.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
24,458 Posts
1)What are we working on?

2)Do you have access to a scanner?

3)If no, what is charging voltage across the battery terminals with and without the electrical load.

4)Are ALL engine/body grounds connected properly, tight, secure on a clean metal surface with no corrosion?

If this is a 2.2L/2.5L there are 3 Grounds you need to check...
a)Negative Battery Cable and it's Pigtail Connections to Ground.
b)Main Controller Ground, that runs from the Back of the Intake or Fuel Rail Bolt depending on year to the Firewall.
c)Passenger Side Engine Mount Bracket to the Body.

Engine Compartment Front-2011.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the fast response and sorry for the significantly delayed response.

1) 1984 Laser XE with all the electronic gizmos and gadgets.

2) No

3) I also could not find my multimeter, so I need to get another one...soon...just been busy.

4a-c) Yikes, that is a lot of grounding! I see the notes in the picture, but would you mind going through the trouble of pointing to the grounding points? I'll also need to trace the pigtail (etc) from the battery (didn't know it had added grounding points there, too).

1)What are we working on?

2)Do you have access to a scanner?

3)If no, what is charging voltage across the battery terminals with and without the electrical load.

4)Are ALL engine/body grounds connected properly, tight, secure on a clean metal surface with no corrosion?

If this is a 2.2L/2.5L there are 3 Grounds you need to check...
a)Negative Battery Cable and it's Pigtail Connections to Ground.
b)Main Controller Ground, that runs from the Back of the Intake or Fuel Rail Bolt depending on year to the Firewall.
c)Passenger Side Engine Mount Bracket to the Body.

View attachment 253145

·
Administrator
24,458 Posts
According to my wiring there are no pigtails off of the - battery cable.

Looking at the attachment I provided you can see the main engine ground and the body ground off of the engine mount bracket.
The main engine ground on your car comes from the fuel injection harness and should bolt directly to one of the fuel rail mounting bolts.
The ground from the passenger side engine mount should be attached to the engine mount bracket and grounds directly to the body, you will have to look at your car to see exactly where it is located, I do not have pics of an 84.

Get your multimeter and check charging voltage across the battery terminals with and without electrical load applied.

Also, are there any aftermarket accessories installed on this vehicle?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, are there any aftermarket accessories installed on this vehicle?
No, stock from the factory (well, they optioned it out).

Will get a multimeter sometime next week and get back to the car...not dealing with a fender bender from yesterday so that's taking precedence (ughhhh).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts