Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i THOUGHT my new sachs clutch was bad after 2500 miles from 14psi, a big intercooler, and absolutely no mercy...then i realized that i have no drivability issues, i have NEVER smelled any burnt clutch, i can still launch just as hard as when I first turned up the boost, i can still make the tires burnout in 1st and chirp in second, its just that once in awhile i know for a fact something not right because the speedometer shoots up WAYY too fast and I can tell that traction and/or clutch friction is being lost....this is pretty much expected in 1st gear or maybe even 2nd.....but in 3rd at 60mph on the freeway??

is it possible im actually SPINNING the tires at 60mph in third on the freeway?? they dont make ANY noise if thats the case...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
What tires and what clutch are you using?

When doing this is the clutch already been heated up and raced on a bit?

Notice less tread or uneven tread wear on the tires which could be bad camber/ball joints, suspension bushings?

I know on my crappy clutch with bad camber and cheap tires (pretty old and hard with about 300 treadwear ratings) on the front I could rip a quick burnout at 40mph in 2nd gear and chirp 3rd. Now with my camber fixed and better tires I can only chirp the tires at 40mph and go, and just traction in 3rd. It usually only takes a couple launches before my clutch slips pretty good though. Usually doing this will result in the smell of rubber or clutch after a bit.

Your clutch is probably old and glazed especially if its original.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
like i said its a new sachs clutch with 2500 miles

yep its probably heated up when it happens

i bet you are right about the suspension...shessh i cant believe this is happening lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
your speedo is meshed with your right alxe shaft so if the clutch was slipping only your rpm would flare but the speedo is flaring so look for half shaft with splines worn or a tire that has lost traction

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you're running a haftshaft on the pass side axle you better be hoping that it's not spinning because of a stripped spline. This happened to me.:bang head

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the stripped half shaft is scaring me. you are talking about the "intermediate shaft" right? yes i have one of those. what is the worse thing that could happen if thats whats going on? not much right? it will just spin but wont pop out right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts