1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLVED
Thanks

Hey,

I believe that my Turbo has finally bit the dust. Has side to side shaft play, and I get a nice cloud of blue smoke at idle once the engine is all warmed up. I'm not an expert on the differences between turbos over the years besides the mitsubishi and garrett, but I am looking for the garrett that has the three bolt holes on the inlet side. Really i'm just looking for a turbo that works and doesn't leak, so this could be used or rebuilt. I won't be needing the swing valve either. As always, running on a budget, but let me know if you have anything lying around.

Thanks

·
Banned
7,665 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Looks like a good deal on the rebuilt one.

I have a decent used one but with shipping it would take $150.00 U.S.

Excessive in-out play isn't good but our Turbos often aren't the cause of smoke.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a good deal on the rebuilt one.

I have a decent used one but with shipping it would take $150.00 U.S.

Excessive in-out play isn't good but our Turbos often aren't the cause of smoke.

Thanks
Randy
The rebuilt one does look like a good deal, only that its out of my price range right now. Ive done as much googling as I could to try and rule out the turbo, but Ive pulled the intake, which is oil free, checked the plugs, which look very nice and healthy, and have created a really nice catch can with filter to try to free up all the crankcase pressure. Oil drain is also as direct as I can get it...
I don't have any blue smoke under power, from what I can tell could be caused by the backpressure in the exhaust keeping the oil out, but once I come back to idle, it blows blue. This was an on and off again problem, but just today it decided to appear and stay. I will be pulling off the turbo tonight to make sure that is the culprit, but I may take you up on your used offer.
Also, I know this is a wanted forum, but anything also I may check would be appreciated.

Ill get back to you either way.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Right, this is the Dakota Turbo.

As previously discussed, if the Turbo is the culprit, the oil has to get into the intake.

Either from internal leakage or internal leakage caused by a blocked Turbo drain.

Driving with the air intake not connected to the Turbo rules out the Turbo.

You will be driving N/A with the throttle body not connected to the Turbo.

Next, all vacuum, PCV, etc. hoses that connect anywhere to the turbo or intake are the "Usual Suspects"

Let the crankcase breathe/vent into the atmosphere, 2.2/2.5 Turbo's don't need PCV.

Driving with all these disconnected rules them out.

From there it is likely internal.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, this is the Dakota Turbo.

As previously discussed, if the Turbo is the culprit, the oil has to get into the intake.

Either from internal leakage or internal leakage caused by a blocked Turbo drain.

Driving with the air intake not connected to the Turbo rules out the Turbo.

You will be driving N/A with the throttle body not connected to the Turbo.

Next, all vacuum, PCV, etc. hoses that connect anywhere to the turbo or intake are the "Usual Suspects"

Let the crankcase breathe/vent into the atmosphere, 2.2/2.5 Turbo's don't need PCV.

Driving with all these disconnected rules them out.

From there it is likely internal.

Thanks
Randy
Yes, all of this has been done. My spark plugs are clean which from my understanding rules out internal. You said that Oil would have to be in the intake for it to be turbo related, which it isn't and shouldn't be the only thing that could happen. I don't have any pcv hoses connected to the turbo or the intake. My theory is the leakage between the turbine allowing oil to burn off in the actual after turbo exhaust housing. I know that this is usually not a thing for these turbos, but with everything else ruled out I'm not sure what is left

·
Registered
114 Posts
We had TurbosUnleashed rebuild a turbo for us a few months ago. It came looking brand new and the car has never ran better. If you are on a budget they only charge $295. and I believe it is backed by a 2 year warranty.

Ben

·
Banned
7,665 Posts
We had TurbosUnleashed rebuild a turbo for us a few months ago. It came looking brand new and the car has never ran better. If you are on a budget they only charge $295. and I believe it is backed by a 2 year warranty.

Ben
Just a note that is $295 (which I think is a great value) plus shipping and you have to supply them a rebuildable core (plus shipping that). The warranty requires the purchase of their stainless steel oil/water line setup as well. I can't speak highly enough for Chris and the turbosunleashed outfit if you need a turbo for your turbo Dodge

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a note that is $295 (which I think is a great value) plus shipping and you have to supply them a rebuildable core (plus shipping that). The warranty requires the purchase of their stainless steel oil/water line setup as well. I can't speak highly enough for Chris and the turbosunleashed outfit if you need a turbo for your turbo Dodge
I appreciate both of your comments. I did end up figuring things out but if things go sideways, Ill be right back on here to grab it. Great deal indeed.

Thanks again,
-Ethan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts