Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a pump from a washer is strong enough to pump water outside your house?
The reason for asking is that with the droughts across the country during the summer, why couldn't you pump the water outside for flower beds or the lawn, instead of sending it to the sewer or septic tank. This would lower your watering bill and keep your laun green and clean.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Not sure if the pump is strong enough or not, but you would think that the soap from the washing machine would not be good for your lawn or the fishies in the streams around your house. 8*

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
It would work, all you would need to do is remove the drain hose and hook it up somehow to a hose heading outside. Dont know how hard it would be to manufacture a hose.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
It should be a fairly strong pump. I had a washer set-up to pump the drain water overhead in my last basement. I had to set-it up this way to route the water into the septic system main drain. It worked fine.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would suspect the washing machine pump would not be strong enough.

I installed a system a couple of years ago mainly to protect the house from bush fires, but have since adapted it for watering the garden / grass as well.

I pump / drain all the washing machine and wasterwater from the shower and sink into a 10,000 litre tank under the house. I then use a 2hp diesel pump to water the garden/ grass. This is also connected up to a sprinkler system on the roof for fire fighting. If you do not live in a bush fire prone area then an electric pump should be OK.

I only occasionaly have to add a defoaming agent, but the bio degradable detergents work well. The grass / garden seem to grow better with this water than towns supply. Since I installed this system I have never had to spray or fertilise the garden / grass.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I've replaced washing machine pumps before.
They can pump water as far as you want it to go.
It's the LIFT that creates backpressure.
Be sure to use a hose of equal or larger diameter to run the water outside.
Don't put a spray nozzle on the end. That would be one heck of a restriction.

I can't see the soap doing your flowers any good. It's biodegradeable in a septic system, but poured directly onto plants may not be good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts