Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
under normal vacuum line setup i believe the selenoid itself is an all or nothing thing, but there is a restrictor orifice in the line that regulates how fast/how much the wastegate opens or closes....or i could be way off...someone feel free to correct me if im wrong...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
the solenoid itself is an open/close device, there is no middle ground. the restrictor in the line does serve to smooth out this on/off pulsing though.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks folks, i suspected it was all-or-nothing.

i was aware of the .020" ID orifice in the wastegate can line, i ran some tests, and at 18 psi before the orifice there is a 3-4 psi pressure drop across this orifice. i believe the orifice acts to modulate the boost signal as you stated (which thus modulates the movement of the can's actuator arm), but also is sized to work with the corresponding wastegate can by part number, this is why different TD engines get different sized orifices in the wastegate can line.

if you're running a manual boost controller, or a grainger valve, i think you dont need this orifice anymore. you could leave it in, wouldnt necessarily hurt.

i removed the orifice and tested the boost behavior w/o it: boost is very sluggish to build, my thoughts are that this is owing to the fact that too much pressure (signal) is reaching the can from the solenoid causing more puck movement (unmodulated).

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Marcus86GLHS said:
if you're running a manual boost controller, or a grainger valve, i think you dont need this orifice anymore. you could leave it in, wouldnt necessarily hurt.

i removed the orifice and tested the boost behavior w/o it: boost is very sluggish to build, my thoughts are that this is owing to the fact that too much pressure (signal) is reaching the can from the solenoid causing more puck movement (unmodulated).
correct, and correct

·
Registered
266 Posts
hey speaking of that i cant seem to find an orifice that goes in the wastegate line. the guy who had my car was an idiot and ripped it apart and im trying to put it together. is there anything else i can use instead of the orifice? my computer and all is ok to 15 lbs but it only boosts at stock with out that orifice i believe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts