Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, what's the trick? I'm missing something because I've done it twice and twice water comes gushing from around the oil pan area when I fill it. This is IRRITATING especially not having a lift. Whats the trick? I used the O-ring along with "the right stuff" along with the torque the book says and I still have to clean up coolant/water mix all over the floor. ??

·
Administrator
25,746 Posts
I assume you are referring to the pump housing to block. The pump housing is aluminum, be sure the area where the o'ring goes in and the block area is completly clean of corrosion and dirt and that the housing is flat and is seated fully flush against the block surface and tighten in a sequence so the housing does not becomed cocked when tightning.
Also, you do not need additional gasket makers, it may be preventing the o'ring from properly mating with the block surface and sealing.
I just did mine 4 weeks ago (along with other work) and no problems just using the o' ring.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the hoses are installed correctly. It's leaking from the mating surface at the housing/block. I'm going to pull it off and see what happens a third time.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did AND I found what the hell was happening. I hope this is at least good for a laugh cuz I sure feel like a dope. I have never done a water pump on a 2.2 personally so when I began the job, first thing I did was drain the cooling system. What I did NOT know is that one of the side mount bolts goes directly into a water jacket. I didn't reassemble the entire thing so I could check for leaks and save me work if I found one. Good one...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did AND I found what the hell was happening. I hope this is at least good for a laugh cuz I sure feel like a dope. I have never done a water pump on a 2.2 personally so when I began the job, first thing I did was drain the cooling system. What I did NOT know is that one of the side mount bolts goes directly into a water jacket. I didn't reassemble the entire thing so I could check for leaks and save me work if I found one. Good one...
You must be working on a 88 and older non common block; Sealer on the one into the water jacket is the fix, and by the way the common blocks have all three as blind holes there which means no need for sealer -- another reason common blocks are better and apples & oranges. glad to hear you got-r- done:thumb:
Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts