Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a replacement water pump for my 89 turbo mini. I put the thing together but when I went to put on the pulley(with the 3 bolts) they wouldnt line up. So I went outside and got a pulley off of my junkyard engine and that happened to line up and bolt down.

The two pulleys are the same diameter, however my original pulley is smooth around the surface and doesn't have a ridge at all. The other pulley from my jyard motor has small ridges.

My van has a/c and I have no idea if the jyard motor had a/c or not...Any ideas?? Can I use this pulley?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Seems like the parts store sold you the wrong waterpump or maybe the engine is the wrong type for the year/car.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
When you say, "it didnt line up", if you mean the bolt holes in the water pump and those in the pulley, join the club!

I bought a TIII water pump from the dealer and when I got it home I found that the bolt pattern on the pump was incorrect, yet the part number was correct. When I went back to exchange it, I grabbed the water pump with the wrong part number and POOF...it fit.

So I have a feeling that either-

1) The dealer computer database has the part numbers reversed

2) A batch of water pumps (who knows how many) was mislabeled.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Quote from thedodgegarage in the "common failures & mistakes" section;

"11) Wrong year waterpump.

Chrysler more or less used the same clockwise turning waterpump from 1980-1988 for the 2.2 engines. In 1989 with the introduction of the common block engines however they did a tricky- Counter rotating water pump that was driven off the BACKSIDE of the alternator belt. Guess what happens when you install a early belt setup on a later engine? It overheats.

Happens all the time too... how to tell which waterpump you have? The early pump is sealed to it's housing with RTV, the later with a big rubber o-ring. The early waterpump pulley has 5 ridges on it, the later is perfectly smooth (runs off the back of the belt remember?)"

:)

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The 3 bolt pulley bolt pattern changed in 1990.

Possibly one of your pumps or pulleys isn't 1989.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1992 dodge shadow es turbo
844 Posts
I can agree with this my 89 is different than my 92 pump, I remember cleaning up a spare pulley and painted it only to find out when I went to install my new water pump on my 92, that an 89 pulley is different. So the original pulley went back on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts