Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen people talk about spraying water on the intercooler, and Ive read about it on the Mini Mopar site. But...how would one go about hooking up such a system?

THe idea that I have is to get a pump (I have no idea what kind or where), some lines (again, dont know where or what kind), clamps, a windshield washer fluid bottle or something similar, and some kind of end to spray it with (havent a clue as to what to use for the end!).

The biggest problem is that I dont know how to hook it up electrically.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
you could use a windshield washer pump..............or two
you could use a windshield washer bottle.............or two
you could use a windshield washer sprayer nozzle..or two

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
double the spraying PERFORMANCE!

·
Registered
812 Posts
It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. On the simple end you can just use a windshield washer bottle, washer pump, for a nozzle you can use a couple different things. I've seen people use nozzels off of spray paint cans, or you can go to your hardware store and get the water nozzels for those drip spinkler systems. They attach to a widshield washer size hose and are available in a variety of spray patterns. You can control it with either a push putton switch or a wot switch too. To hook it up electrically you need to make sure you have power and ground to the pump. you can hook the switch into either the 12v side or the ground side it doesn't matter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I can just go to the junkyard, rip out a Windshield Washer bottle and pump and lines. Then buy some vaccum lines and clamps, and aim it at my intercooler? Would I need an end at the line at the intercooler, or will the stock end of the windshield wiper hose work?

That electrical seems kind of intimidating....but let me see if I got it down.
--Hook up the wiring from the switch, one to the 12v positive side of the batterie (how would I do that? just make it touch the terminal), and hook up one wire to the body somewhere? Then re-route the wiring back to the stock pump in the washer bottle??

Sorry for the dumb-sounding questions, I am not an electrician by any means. lol

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
You could run the wire to the ignition wire so you can only turn it on while the key is "on"

Just in case you leave it on accidentally...dun want a dead battery.

·
Registered
812 Posts
To hook up to the battery get a ring terminal that will fit over the bolt on the battery end. Crimp this to a wire, probably 14 gauge. or so, and attach that to a fuse holder, then to your master switch, then you have to make a decision. Do you want two switches on it and what kind do you want. You can have two like the drawing I made. One a push button that would spray when you pushed it. And then a WOT switch or a Hobbs pressure switch that would spray either when you are a WOT, or when boost gets to a certain level. These switches have to be wired in parallel so that they will work independently of each other. Then these switches are hooked up to the positive side of the pump. For the ground on the pump you can ground it to the body but you have to make sure its a good ground. The one on the fire wall where the intake is grounded would work well. Or you could ground to the engine on the cyl head or intake manifold or something like that.

·
Registered
812 Posts
big_P said:
You could run the wire to the ignition wire so you can only turn it on while the key is "on"

Just in case you leave it on accidentally...dun want a dead battery.
As long as he uses a WOT switch or a Hobbs switch it won't matter. However if you did that ou would eliminate the need for the master switch and would clean up the wiring a little bit. Good idea. Sometimes I get on one track and don't see the other posibilities. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
what's a hobbs switch?

·
Registered
812 Posts
hobbs pressure switch. it turns on at a certain boost level. They are usually adjustable so you can change the set point. That way you could set it to turn on at say 5psi no matter is your at wot or not. Look up 5th and 6th injector how to's, they ues a hobbs switch usually to activate the injectors.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I dont want a WOT switch. Id like to have it where I could push a button and do it.

And what's a fuse holder?

keep going SwiftTech, youre being a lot of help!:)

·
Registered
812 Posts
a fuse holder is a piece you can get at any good(or bad) auto parts stores. It has has a spot to put a blade type fuse in it and has wires on it so you can wire a fuse into any circuit you want. see attached pic. its a good idea to put one on any circuit that you add to your caar incase you end up shorting the circuit. Just the fuse will blow and the wires won't burn up in a cloud of smoke. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So with the fuse holder it just takes one end of the wire then spices into another end? or does the wire just go right through it?

This all seems pretty easy to do. But the problem will be how to get the electrical and everything in the interior. I am thinking of mounting the button next to my cooling fan switch, right next to the fuse box panel. Mounting it will be something different too. . . . . .

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
dave you are a goober. If the wire continued through the fuse, it would essentially bypass the fuse.

Mounting it will be easy...just hard to find a spot to mount it. You can use a cheap momentary pushbutton switch from Radio Shack

·
Registered
137,665 Posts
The fuse is run in Series with the wire. The hot wire runs to one end of the fuse, and continues off the other side of it. Essentialy FORCING the power to go through the fuse to get to the other end of the wire.

----------|Fuse|---------

Wiring in series means it will stop at one side, and continue at the other.
Your talking about parallel, so that the current always has a way to get through. Bad idea.

<<---------------don't forget to give props for people who have helped you thus far.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Dave said:
thank you big_p....what does the "P" stand for anyways? :D

So whats the point of the fuse then?
What's my first name, Dave?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dave said:
So whats the point of the fuse then?
The fuse keeps you from setting your car on fire. :O

I had a friend who wired his amp up to the battery without using a fuse. On his grad night, he and some friends were on the way to the dance hall and smoke started pouring out from under his dash. He stopped the car, everybody jumped out and he popped the hood to see WTF was going on.

The insulation on the wire had been rubbed off by some metal in the firewall (another mistake - he didn't use a grommet) and of course since the entire body of the car is connected to the ground of the battery, it made a short circuit. Like connecting the + wire of the battery directly to your fender. He took something from inside the car and smashed the wire off at the battery, but not before it had gotten red hot and cut a channel in the battery case, completely burned off its insulation and parts of the wiring harness, and cut a channel in the plastic of the underside of his dash. He was lucky the battery didn't explode and shoot acid everywhere.

So that's why you always use a fuse, cause you might not make it to grad on time. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts