Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K...Start off a friend with out my addvice, bought a 85 omni GLH (from a kid:eek:). It had a 2.2 commin T2 swap. He was told that it had a FM 525 trans and a stage 2 computer. Well he bought it and had not noticed the blue smoke commin out the 4'' side tail pipe. He was told by another person that the turbo was bad. So he had another person tare off the head/turbo and had it rebuilt to a t3/t4. Also they had put in a walbro 255 pump which he had told me that hey had a problem putting it on cuz of the size and had to use a sending unit out of his later model. Well after all that the car would not run right. So he had called me over to look at it. The timing was off and some of the vacuum hoses where on wrong. After all that it would blow out lots of black smoke, very very rich. And it would not stay running unless you had your foot on the gas, as if the Idle motor was not working?. After time and time again resetting the timing. We thought we had it. and went out for a ride. Well.......yeah..came back with a rod knock. So I dropped the pan and found rod 1 lose at the the journal. The bearing was gone. But that's not all. MISSED MACHED BEARING. The dam kid that sold it to him did a swap on it cuz it was knocking. So where are we.....4,000 for the car....750 for the turbo...and 250 for the work...Well he gave it some though and decided to buy my friends stage 3 long block..It's got it all big valve head ported-polished with brass guides...commin block, forged crank, oring to fel-pro, rods and pistons weighted to less of a gram. Nice set up...2,500....and Im going to do the work this time. Now I noticed some stuff I didnt understand tearing the old engine out out of the car. There where some home made wiring to the air charge sensor and idle air control valve. later I was told that the 85 pig back computer didnt have that stuff? Anyone with info.:confused: But I got the engine in with extras. Power coating, painting, clutch, ect..800. Well it stared up nice with the black cloud for rich smoke...and it's still not idling on it own. So after a little while of braking in. I took it for a test drive and make it about a city block and it slowly stalled out and would crank but will not start. I'm getting spark..the pump is turning on..fuel is at the rail.. but no gas is commin into the cylinder. I have checked the grounds at the rail and fire wall and all is good...Well what would cause the extream rich exhaust, and now no fuel. $10,500 omni, and it's very dissapointing. I feel for the guy.:mad:

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update...30 psi in 1, 40 in 2, 60 in 3, and 30 in 6,..somthing went wrong. Added oil and the psi went up 100% fold. The engine was already put together. It's a same. He's pi$$ed..I would be. I just cant make sence on how a engine can lose it rings seat running only 30 mins. and to have only 30 psi..It would have to have silver dollar wholes through those pistons. I do know that I was alittle worried cuz the guy was using hypertec pistons..$10,500 and has not yet enjoyed the car. He's thinging about parting it out. dam!:spam2:

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry left out some info...The engine was a brand new rebuild. fresh new...And the fuel pressure was right on, and it was getting fuel when I thought it wasnt. Just the compression is way to low to start. I was told that the engine was bored 30 over and machined to fix that piston. The deck was oring to fit a felpro gasket. Biggest valves in a Bath Tub head. Brass inserts. Ported and polished. MP valve springs, Arp head bolts. The pistons and rods where weighed with in a gram of each other. Poshlish 2.2 t2 crank. I was all good stuff besides the pistons..Feed back with some info

· Registered
1,526 Posts
It takes knowledge and common sense to buy and maintain these cars. You don't spend that kind of money without doing some research or having friends that know how to do something besides spend YOUR money on a bottomless pit of a still not drivable project. What's that saying about the fool and his money? There's been a ton of nice cars on here for sale for a lot less than is wrapped up in that one.

· Registered
3,846 Posts
You didn't say if you have any gauges? Do you have a air fuel or better yet a wideband O2? If it was pig rich, why would you even drive it? The first thing you should have done is figure out why it was running rich, and that should have been when it was engine #1. When it did so with engine #2, and you still drove it, that is not good. Sounds like you washed down the cylinder walls because of too much fuel. hopefully you didn't burn up the cylinder walls/pistons too in the process. There are many reasons it could have been pig rich (bad map, bad o2, shorted injector harness etc... ) and it sounds like you did not check any before driving the car. I hate to say thes, but with all the money your buddy has spent, it might be a good idea to bring the car to a TD expert, or someone else with a little more knowledge before you guys end up blowing up engine #3. BTW using hypereutetic pistons in our cars is a failure waiting to happen.
later,
Cindy

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rich smoke only came when we first started the car and went away about 45 seconds till the o2 became heated. But is it possable to wash out cylinder walls that quick? I have never heard of that..But I guess that that's the only thing that could have happened. Or if the engine assembler put the compression rings upside down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.