Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dodge daytona turbo II, the car makes power, but it is boat, very heavy for it's size compared to other cars it's size. What are some effective ways of reducing weight? I really do not want to strip the interior (carpet and trim) BUT AM OPEN TO ANY OTHER IDEAS

·
Registered
674 Posts
Use your imagination and decide what you can live without. Power steering? AC? Change to crank windows, seats from a Shadow are lighter (they were 14lbs lighter EACH than the seats in my Rampage:eek:), strip the interior/carpet, pull out all the padding and then put the carpet back (even cleaning it can save a few ounces;)) Lighter wheels. Lexan instead of rear glass, the list is endless...

Alan

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
Drill lots holes in the sheet metal.
A/C delete brackets.
Carry AAA card instead of spare tire and jack.
Relocate battery to the trunk.
Lighter battery
Remove rear seats.
Get rid of the power seat.
Lighter electronic fan.

Buy Konis to deal with the floatiness.
Buy new sway bar bushings if yours are bad.
Buy polybushings for control arm bushings.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks alot guys, i really dont want to reduce the value of my car by ripping the interior out. But i am interested in pulling out the padding underneath... Also do the shadow seats fit directly to the stock seat brackets?! And i am jsut curiouse, how much does that driver's seat weight, it must be like 200 lbs.. How difficult is exchanging power windows to crank windows. I dont want to destroy my car, but am desperate to reduce weight.

PS: can i get a link to a company that makes an ac delete bracket? i already removed ac, but the bracket is still in place becuase it mounts the alternator.

·
Banned
3 Posts
no just go to the junk yard and find any year 2.2 or 2.5 without factory ac and grab that bracket, buy one here in the classifieds or look on ebay, $20-$30 shipped is a good price.

you'll be suprised how much heavy padding and insulation you'll find under the carbet and behind the plastic in the back.

·
Registered
296 Posts
id go to the junk yard and get a set of crank window doors and just switch them out... you can do that with the hatch to... have a gutted set and a nice set ya kno windsheild wiper motors alspo weigh like 15 pounds :p

·
Registered
229 Posts
On my '85 LeBaron:
Power seat bracket -> Manual seat bracket = 14 lbs.
A/C removal = 25 lbs.
Removal of all sound insulation = 12 lbs.
Power Steering -> Manual Steering = 10 lbs.
Aftermarket rims = 40 lbs.
Stock fan -> aftermaket fan = 6 lbs.
Tilt steering column -> non tilt column = 4 lbs.
As you can see, I just gained over a tenth, yet the car still looks stock except for the rims.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If i pick up a pair of Shadow seats, do they bolt like directly to the stock seat mounts? if not, how do i mount them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts