Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is a new one for the books.

As I'm driving at operating temperature, sometimes when I turn right (if I don't slow down more than what is customary for a right hand turn) the engine dies but will start right back up.

Similarly, it also idles quite rough as I back up in the morning out of the garage when I turn the wheel sharp right (EXCEPT, if I put it in neutral as I'm backing up and before I turn the wheel).

This behavior has been replicated for many months but I just figured out and proved the above conditions of the pattern.:|

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Have you checked for wires near the rack or inside near the steering knuckle?
Also check the ground on the top of the MTX. I am guessing the MTX movement is moving the ground. If this ground is not good the car will not start.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha a strange gremlin there for sure!

Have you tried putting it in neutral right before you turn right and it doesn't happen when you turn left?
It has never happened when I turn left

I'll try hitting neutral prior to a hard right turn on a particular road where it happens often

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked for wires near the rack or inside near the steering knuckle?
Also check the ground on the top of the MTX. I am guessing the MTX movement is moving the ground. If this ground is not good the car will not start.
Sorry, MTX?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Fuel injected turbo affected similarly in any way? Also, 3 spd automatic
No, none of those would affect your issue. An AT has the main ground from the battery connected through the engine/trans mounting bolt. Fuel injection isn't affected by gravity like a carb with a fuel bowl & float.

Could be a ground that's loose causing a short due to lateral force when turning...

If it's not a ground than you have a pretty devious gremlin living under your hood! :laugh2:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Maybe a new one for the books in regards to your vehicle. But it happened as far back as 1984 in some of the vehicles that came with carburetors. The solution was to replace the carburetor with a brand new one which included engineering changes to cure the problem.

Engine Sags on Hard Right Hand Turns | 18-43-86 NL,K,E
Body N2.2L N N

4419 423 DRIVEABILITY PACKAGE N N N4419423 Y4419423

4324 751 CARBUTETOR, (R-40310) N N N4324751 Y4324751

4267 140 PLUG, Idle Concealment N N N4267140 Y4267140

4275 086 LABEL, Authorized Modification N N N4275086 Y4275086

3580 171 CAP, Rubber (3/16) N N N3580171 Y3580171

3580 172 CAP, Rubber (1/4) N N N3580172 Y3580172

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
starving for fuel maybe ?

a gauge taped to the windshield would let you know

I'd presume the fuel pick up in the tank is fouled somehow .. or broken , or bent
or the pan around it is lose and all the fuel goes to the left front corner of the tank ..

is the issue the same with the tank brimming full?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
starving for fuel maybe ?

a gauge taped to the windshield would let you know

I'd presume the fuel pick up in the tank is fouled somehow .. or broken , or bent
or the pan around it is lose and all the fuel goes to the left front corner of the tank ..

is the issue the same with the tank brimming full?
Tank is plumb full...also, will restart immediately with no hesitation

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tank is plumb full...also, will restart immediately with no hesitation
...and it cuts out suddenly in the right turn? No sputtering? I'd think that would rule out fuel. So what's next? Electrical, correct? Turning right causes whatever is the problem to swing left towards the driver's side. If not a ground then what? Loose coil wire? Harness connector?

I'd go out and check all of the grounds & electrical connections to at least rule them out...

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
do you have tilt steering?

if so does the top of the column wobble or seem lose?

I had one that had worked so lose it stalled everytime I went through the local drive thru for coffee .. turning left slowly

same place , same problem , everytime

thing was the "way" I pulled on the steering in only that circumstance

so , the wobble in the column affects the ignition switch when it pulls up on the rod link between the key and ign switch down on the lower column .. thus turning the car from run to off briefly

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...and it cuts out suddenly in the right turn? No sputtering? I'd think that would rule out fuel. So what's next? Electrical, correct? Turning right causes whatever is the problem to swing left towards the driver's side. If not a ground then what? Loose coil wire? Harness connector?

I'd go out and check all of the grounds & electrical connections to at least rule them out...
correct...just flat dies with no sputter

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
do you have tilt steering?

if so does the top of the column wobble or seem lose?

I had one that had worked so lose it stalled everytime I went through the local drive thru for coffee .. turning left slowly

same place , same problem , everytime

thing was the "way" I pulled on the steering in only that circumstance

so , the wobble in the column affects the ignition switch when it pulls up on the rod link between the key and ign switch down on the lower column .. thus turning the car from run to off briefly
will try changing the position of the steering wheel

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
set the column to straight , not tilted up or down and then grab the wheel to see if you can lift it up and to the side , both right and left

if it moves like that , from the tilt point in the column then that's probably where your issue is

and guessing as you approach a right turn quickly or try to back up out of the driveway swiftly .. money says you put a little extra "arm" into it .. that and a loose tilt head would cause this ..

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
A wiggle test on all underhood wiring/connectors is where you need to start in an attempt to duplicate the condition.

You also need to check your engine mounts for damage to see if the engine is torquing too much when turning or moving in reverse.

ENGINE- Mount Location.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts