Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Gents. I have never owned a Chrysler product before, let alone a fwd car.

Anyways I went to look at a 1984 Dodge rampage 5spd, and I am considering buying it.

I was told by the owner that it was missing the catalytic converter and it would not pass emissions. When I got there, I spotted the cat right where the collector is on the manifold; the owner then told me that it had been hollowed out. It appears to have the stock Holley carb on it. It also seems like someone has rigged it to idle very high to get it to stay running. There is almost no movement in the throttle pedal. The tach has also been disconnected.
I took it for a test drive, and it seemes to run decently enough under about 1/3 or 1/2 throttle(of the movement that is left), but any more foot in it than that it tries to die. So it seems to me that there is something someone is trying to cover up without repairing it properly. And as I understand it, this car should have an electric choke. The owner told me that the "mechanic" broke the choke cable, and it requires manipulation to start. Sure enough it looks like someone jimmy rigged the choke with a cable.

I think I spotted the smog pump in place, on the rear side of the motor running off the cam? I didn't see an EGR valve, but the intake manifold was covered up by the stock air cleaner.

Anyways, I don't have a copy of the emissions sheet to upload; but I remember roughly what the readings were. It passed both Hydrocarbons and CO2 loaded, but failed miserably at idle. Hydro carbons read around 720/220 allowed, and CO2 was 3. something out of 1.2 allowed.

To all you guys who have swapped to the Weber 32/26 dfev or 32/38; how hard is it to pass emissions, or is it even possible?
Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi just replaced the shit holly with new weber - wow - runs great and very easy to swap out - here in NY we dont have to pass smog on cars that old so just saftey inspection . I gutted all that stuff,cat,vacume,pump all gone

·
Registered
59 Posts
Was a Chrysler virgin myself once upon - Bought a new Eagle Premier in 1989 - 1988 MOTOR TREND CAR OF THE YEAR - BEST CAR CHRYSLER EVER MADE 1988 review by Consumer Reports & then the Premier was on CONSUMER REPORTS 1990 list of ten used cars to avoid - A well worn Rampage compares favorably IMO - I like mine(now) & don't mind all the attention it draws - ANYWAY.....

Check the compression on all four - then ck cam position while plugs are still out - No use trying to address other probs if trouble there - valves probably ok if comp-cams ok - fast & dirty leak down ck is 100psi in cylinder & listen to carb-oil fill-tail pipe - - - Fast idle can be carb or time or both - some weber 32-36/holley5200 carbs have idle adjust on secondary as well -weber/holleys can be made to run very very lean with main & idle jets swap plus idle speed & spark time adjust - no good/harmful for daily but ok to pass insp & then return - an inconvenience but easy enough to do - - Little gas pedal travel can be too long cable or thick carb spacer which puts carb closer to cable end-same as having longer cable-look for slop under dash at pedal connection - wants to die at/near WOT can be carb-spark time-valve time - - There is NO choke Cable - broken by mechanic sounds like a fairy tale to me - - POs who tinker are mostly dummys or crooks - - - EGR is DS under manifolds & air pump-air cleaner junk, PITA to remove/service - - - Is the belt on the air pump? - ECS unit still there? Vac working on ECS? - Cats are relatively cheap to replace - stay away if the cost of a new cat is a concern - especially if all factory emission stuff/controls must be in place/working to pass your states inspection-bigger $ costs will come along - - - Check for RUST - strut towers - floor pans - around windshield & rear window - bed tubs come out easily-just a few screws - Lots of eastern rusted junk makes it way out west & south through the huge auctions in Oaklahoma-Same for Missouri & Arkansas but OK seems to be a favorite path - About 1400 other concerns I wish had never made themselves known to me plus Murphy's Law, which can strike repeatedly, can make putting one of these right a chore - Good Luck :fingersx:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts