Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,143 Posts
The part on the left is Chrysler's solid state voltage regulator. The part on the right is a ballast resistor for the ignition coil circuit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The part on the left is Chrysler's solid state voltage regulator. The part on the right is a ballast resistor for the ignition coil circuit.
Ok, so if I switch to a gm one wire alt I should be able to get rid of that regulator. What is the resistor for?

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,143 Posts
It limits the voltage to the coil. Some systems use a bypass circuit to provide full voltage only during starting. Others just use the resistor. Either way, you will still need the resistor unless you switch to a coil with an internal ballast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It limits the voltage to the coil. Some systems use a bypass circuit to provide full voltage only during starting. Others just use the resistor. Either way, you will still need the resistor unless you switch to a coil with an internal ballast.
Do you know what wires I need to change so I can run a msd coil?

·
Administrator
24,688 Posts
If you are using a standard oil filled canister coil then nothing needs to be changed, + battery power goes to + coil and coil control (breaker points, ignition module, engine controller) goes to the - coil.

The only thing you need to be sure of is the resistance of the new coil and how it matches to the ignition system you are using.
That is the purpose of the Ballast Resistor shown in your first pic.
On a Chrysler FWD vehicle the Primary Resistance is 1.34 - 1.55 Ohms and the resistor is built into the coil.
If you replaced that coil with an MSD Blaster 2 which only has a primary resistance of .7 ohms you would need to add a .7/.8 ohm ballast resistor in the circuit so the resistance is correct and the coil does not overheat and there are no voltage spikes to other components.

ELECTRICAL- Testing Coil Primary And Secondary Resistance.jpg

This is the correct coil for a Chrysler 2.2L/2.5L engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are using a standard oil filled canister coil then nothing needs to be changed, + battery power goes to + coil and coil control (breaker points, ignition module, engine controller) goes to the - coil.

The only thing you need to be sure of is the resistance of the new coil and how it matches to the ignition system you are using.
That is the purpose of the Ballast Resistor shown in your first pic.
On a Chrysler FWD vehicle the Primary Resistance is 1.34 - 1.55 Ohms and the resistor is built into the coil.
If you replaced that coil with an MSD Blaster 2 which only has a primary resistance of .7 ohms you would need to add a .7/.8 ohm ballast resistor in the circuit so the resistance is correct and the coil does not overheat and there are no voltage spikes to other components.

View attachment 271238

This is the correct coil for a Chrysler 2.2L/2.5L engine.
Thanks I have a 8140 coil, I will try that instead of my msd

·
Administrator
24,688 Posts
Thanks I have a 8140 coil, I will try that instead of my msd
If you do use the Accel 8140 be sure you remove the previously installed ballast resistor from the circuit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts