Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace a trashed A525 from my '87 Shelby Charger that has shifter rods that also keep popping off regularly. I heard that an A520 will be a good cure. I've got the front wheel bearing assemblies (hubs) off an 88 Daytona which will fit the larger diameter CV shafts required for an A520 (which I heard will fit with no modification for the tranny mount). I know I'll need to change the shifter assy. for the cabled version. However, I cannot find info on what cars came stock (or optionally) with an A520. I need this info so I can scour over the car ads and call junkyards to see if I can find one. Anyone got some info to help me out here? I'm close to junking it as it seems it's getting too tough to find parts for it anymore.:confused:

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
You don't have to change the hubs on the charger.

You'll need 88 and up AUTOMATIC omni axles in order to use any A520, A555, A523, or A568.
Any 87-89 manual cars or minivan other than charger or omni will either have A520 or A555.
Any 90 and up manual cars or minivan other than omni will have A523 or A568

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like there are a lot of options available. Note: I was under the impression that the '87 came in two flavours (early vs. late productions that were somewhat different). Mine came with the smaller diameter CV shafts that have the knurled in (non-openable - was it outer or inner?) CV shaft joint that never seem to get rebuilt. I know for a fact that the '88 Dytona shafts are too big (which I still have) but are very close in length. I still use my hanger bearing as well.
What would be the easiest choice for a swap? I would like to stay away from all of the welding and extra work if possible. I hear that the A555/A568 would be the better choice but requires a bit more work.

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
There no welding involve with any transmission choice.

Easiest choice is whatever transmission with whatever matching shifter cables and shifter you can find plus 88-90 automatic axles. Only 88-90 automatic axles will work with A520, A555, A523, or A568. It'll be an unequal length setup for the axles.

If you want equal length setup, you have to get TWO driver side 88-90 auto axles and the intermediate shaft for A520, A555, A523, or A568. Your A525 intermediate shaft will not work with modification.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info. Thanks!
2 Q's:

I just located an A520 but it has no shifter assembly. Can I transfer and still use my shifter rod assembly by replacing the "shifter units" from the top of the tranny? I believe that either system can be mounted (I hope).

Also, I've got 2 equal length CV shafts, hanger bearing and hub assemblies from an '88 Daytona Pacifica. Will these work?

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
I just located an A520 but it has no shifter assembly. Can I transfer and still use my shifter rod assembly by replacing the "shifter units" from the top of the tranny? I believe that either system can be mounted (I hope).
You could make it to work, people have done it. Involve a lot of fabrication and time. Not much information on how to do it, but there are finished pictures around. Search, search, and search. Good luck figure it out.

Also, I've got 2 equal length CV shafts, hanger bearing and hub assemblies from an '88 Daytona Pacifica. Will these work?
Take these stuff to a metal recycler.

Easiest choice is whatever transmission with whatever matching shifter cables and shifter you can find plus 88-90 omni automatic axles. Only 88-90 omni automatic axles will work with A520, A555, A523, or A568. It'll be an unequal length setup for the axles.

If you want equal length setup, you have to get TWO driver side 88-90 auto axles and the intermediate shaft for A520, A555, A523, or A568. Your A525 intermediate shaft will not work with modification.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention earlier that I also have the '88 half shaft & hanger bearing, all from an A/T Daytona. My bad!
Okay, I've got from '88 Daytona Pacifica with an AUTOMATIC transmission both L & R CV shafts which are identical part numbers (when I checked with Parts Source), the half shaft, hanger bearing with mount and complete hub assemblies. Yes, I'll scrap the A525 crud. And, yes, I know that the hanger bearing and half shaft (intermediary shaft) are different (and will also be swapped).

Okay then, I'll give it a try. However, I'll give the tranny a full rebuild to avoid any future mishaps and shifter grinding. I'll still keep my eyes open to see if I can get a shifter assembly which I'll try to install as soon as I find one. I just hate these shifter rods are they pop off regularly (however, I'll weld on some tabs to keep them in place which I've done before sucessfully).

Thanks again for the info. I guess that I should be extremely careful to include ALL parts details before I ask anyone a question or else I get raked over the coals again.

I'll try to post an update as soon as I get the work done to let others know if it was a success or not. Later!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts